best bass for tapping

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by freakyfrog, Jul 8, 2008.

1. freakyfrog

freakyfrog

Jan 12, 2008
    What's the best bass for tapping I can get for under 300 bucks? Preferably 5 strings or more?

2. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    A strat? Just kidding. Anything with low action I would think.

3. try to save a little bit, and then ebay a carvin 6 stringer for around 400-500 bones, amazing basses in my opinon, and tapping machines

4. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    It is possible to buy a Five String bass for under $300 for sure, but also plan on spending some money to have the bass set up well (low action and perhaps a new set of light guage strings...) to allow that advanced technique to be easy as possible. As to the question of which one is "best" I don't know who, if anyone, can answer that definitively.

5. Some basses are better than others, but I don't think there is much noteworthy in that price range.

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    Get one with a 3 band active circuit, low action and round wound strings.

7. kebbs

kebbs Modus vivendi

Aug 30, 2005
    Ottawa, Canada
    I apologize if this is a dumb question - but will a bass that is ideal for tapping will also be ideal for slapping?

8. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    I would say there is a decent likelihood for this, though in terms of sound, you make like the tapped sound on a bass, but not like it's slapped sound. Or vice-versa. In general, I find low action essential to both these techniques. Someone else may totally dissagree, however...

9. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    The ones with strings are usually best.
    Broad answer to a broad question.

10. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
  11. steve21

steve21 Inactive

Squier Deluxe Active J 5. I've slapped that mother like no tomorrow.

12. René_Julien

René_Julien Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Okay let me specify that. (Like freakyfrog I'm also interested in buying a bass especially for tapping.)

scale lenght? 34" - 35" - ...
    body? solid (heavy) - solid (light) - hollow body - ...
    strings gauge? light - medium - heavy - ...
    string type? flatwound - halfwound - roundwound - ...
    string material? steel - ...
    pickups? precision - jazz - active - piezo - ...
    pickup position? ...

:)

Oh yeah, and let's say there isn't a fixed budget. ;)

13. steve21

steve21 Inactive

Dude: Lakland

55-02

Maple neck.

You're welcome.

OR P-bass with maple neck and EMG pickup.

14. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Any bass can be made to tap, but it depends on the style you are wanting to play and the tone you are looking for. The comments here are all valid, but different.

Just looking at to exponents of the tapping art throws up different approches.

Stu Hamm:
    34" scale Fender Urge (sig model), 3 pickups (2 J and one P), active (I think?), doesn't use compression (apparently). He used to use Urges and Kubicki's with 32" scale too. Sets his amps flat with slight low end lift, but his tone has that Jazz bass mid scoop.

Billy Sheehan:
    34" Yamaha Attitude (sig model), 2 pickups (P and EB-O neck woofer) wired to 2 separate SVT amps, light overdrive, ton of compression with plenty of mid range and muted high end.

It is interesting to note however that they both have relatively small radius fretboards, probably due to the fact they are both based on Fender designs.

So 2 different artists, with completely different tones and approches. There is no right answer, but by the looks of it a Fender of some description may be a good start, just set it up appropriately, set your amp flat and you should be good to go, perhaps try a little compression too.

15. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    anything 24 fretts or more, and set up properly...

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021