1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best color for avatar cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jlt5x, Oct 23, 2010.

1. jlt5x

jlt5x Supporting Member

May 8, 2007
    chicagoland
    Looking to pick up a couple of 2x10's. Thinking maybe maroon tolex with black cloth grill. Any other good combination's?

Does the colored tolex do better for resale than rat fur?

post some pics if you got em!

Thanks

2. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I have a pair of 2x12s with the maroon Tolex, wheat grill cloth, and white piping. I have to say the maroon color's not at all apparent unless the lighting is really bright and really neutral. Most times it comes across as dull brown. You have to get up really close to realize, "Oh yeah, it's maroon." Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice color and the cab builder did a great job, it's just that the color's nowhere near as noticeable as I thought it'd be. The wheat grill's nice, though. Reminds me of the front of gran'pa's old two-ton console AM radio. Actually the grill's the only thing anyone's going to see from the audience. When I stack these cabs those grills look very neat/conservative. I needed that "feel" for C&W work which is where I'm concentrating my efforts at the moment.

Hope this helps.

3. jlt5x

jlt5x Supporting Member

May 8, 2007
    chicagoland
    Hey that's good to know. Maybe black tolex with black or wheat grill?

4. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    It's worked for me :smug:

5. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    red all the way

6. Get purple, not enough purple

7. Orange. Always orange.

8. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I almost went with that bright blue with a steel grill, just to get some visual "pop" on stage.

If I were going to do it again, I think I'd go with black Tolex and silver grill and white piping. Similar to Aguilar's DB212.

9. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

My two 210's have the tuff-rug, (rat fur) covering.
    I'm not worried about resale...their not going anywhere!!!

10. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    First choice is BLUE with steel grill. It's a great blue. Second choice is Orange, also with black steel grill.

11. What color sounds best for medium rare dinge metal?

Randy

12. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    IMG_3106.

Only one option when going Avatar. ;) If I could, I woulda went white with oranges hints and grill.. but, I dont think Avatar does custom quite yet.

13. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
  14. the cream with a black grill came out very nice

2nril9s.

15. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    I'm thinking about getting a B212 in cream with a wheat or black grill, or doing what craig said to match my Aggie DB412 :)

16. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    I don't know whether Avatar offers these colours as an option but blonde tolex and oxblood grille cloth looks pretty sharp on my latest DIY build.

Attached Files:

17. jlt5x

jlt5x Supporting Member

May 8, 2007
    chicagoland
    That blonde/oxblood does looks nice....

18. I have the fuzzy cabs. Never again ..... unless I get rid of my short haired Aussie-mix dog ... and that ain't happenin'.

IMG_2923_2.

19. marlond

marlond

Jun 23, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    mmmmm... I like that.... I like that a lot...

20. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

Me too!!!