1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Digital Envelope Filter/Octaver?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Baron, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Boss VF1

46.2%
  2. Lexicon G2

15.4%
  3. Eventide Eclipse

30.8%
  4. TC G-System

7.7%
  1. Baron

Baron

Jan 4, 2004
    Seattle
    Now I know "best digital filter" sounds like a complete oxymoron. I love classic filters and octavers that are analog and I know they will always sound bigger and warmer than digital, but I would accept a minor concession to achieve a single rack space replacement for all my pedals. All the quality units that are known to work well for Bass EQ, Comp, Chorus and time based effects, aren't mentioned for their envelope filters. Are they all that bad?

Based on your experience, which unit below does best octaver and envelope filter? Has anyone gotten a reasonably credible octaver/envelope filter out of them?

Boss VF1
    Lexicon G2
    Eventide Eclipse
    TC (G-Force/G-System)

Thanks for your input!

2. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    I'd like others to opine on this subject as well!

3. i voted boss, but thats mainly cus i'm really bias towards boss since i love most of there stuff.

4. Baron

Baron

Jan 4, 2004
    Seattle
    What do you think of the Boss (VF1?) envelope filter and octaver? Was it 50% of the way to analog, 80% etc.? How would you characterize?

5. The only multieffect unit I would consider for bass envelope filter duties would be Korg's discontinued AX300B. It's got nasty, drippy digital filtering. You can hear it in action on Les Claypool's recent stuff. Of the one's you mention I would have to say the Lexicon would be the preferable one. Although you're probably better off with a stomp box, frankly. The octavers will be fine on any one of those.