1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best foot pedal tuner?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by joel kelsey, Oct 12, 2013.

1. joel kelsey

joel kelsey

Aug 1, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Hey guys,

I don't post much on the BG side as I am a "doubler" who primarily plays the upright. I'm also not sure if this is the right place for this thread.

Anyways, I'm looking for a good foot pedal tuner. I need one that will read a low B, as well as mute me through my amp and PA. I have the Boss TU-3, but alas it has crapped out on me after only a few gigs. Not to mention, the Boss tuner won't read my low B very well. I also own a Peterson Strobo Flip tuner, and that thing won't read a D on my bass guitar! I have a nice bass (Japanese Sadowsky Metro), so I don't believe it is the bass causing this problem. Perhaps tuners hate me? I use the Peterson with my upright with no problems, but I can't seem to find a solution for my bass guitar..... Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

Joel

2. GregBEL

GregBEL

May 25, 2013
    Belgium
    I use a planet waves tru strobe which works perfectly once you get the hang of it. Mutes and picks up E to G instantaneous. B needs about 1 second to recognize but overall works well.

Cheers

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I like TC Electronic Polytune, it replaced a Korg Pitchblack which is also OK but not quite as good.

4. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    is the TC better than the Pitchblack? My Pitchblack just crapped out on me after 18 months and I'm looking for another now....I have 2 Boss TU2 but would prefer something else....someone mentioned the Sonic Research Turbo Tuner, which sounds appealing because of it's small size and accuracy but I'm thinking I may have trouble getting used to the stobe lights on it...never could get used to the Peterson and my eyes are not getting any younger.....

5. gully_jones

gully_jones Stone cold groovy man Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Mississippi
    +1 on the TC Polytune

6. I'd say for a true die hard bang for your buck, you'd be hard pressed to find anything better than the BOSS TU-3 (or older - 2).
    For a little more cash, I'd take the Peterston Strobo Stomp any day.

7. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I have not personally used the Sonic Research, but from what I have read about it some feel it is perhaps a bit harder to use quickly live than the TC tuner, ironically because it is actually a slightly better (as in quicker and more precise) tuner but because of this also not as stable when displaying the note. I would definitely choose it if I were to use it for very precise tuning, like when intonating instruments, but maybe the TC is a better choice for live use. The TC costs less too.

8. Not many know about the Snark pedal tuner but I LOVE mine. $35 super fast and accurate. Like others it takes a second to find the low B. Very easy to read in a stage situation and it is well made and seems like it is very durable.

9. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Hard to believe that it - Peterson - won't read your D string.
    I have the classic and very very happy with it (I double also). I can't see you changing up on tuners if you have the flip. Unless something is wrong with it. The classic is a very nice one and although I still think its not the tuner you may want to try the classic.

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have owned most of them and the TC is the best IME.

They only exception would be a player that really likes a strobe and then I would go Peterson.

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    TC Polytuner by a mile.

12. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL

+1000. I was never really a pedal tuner kind of guy but after I worked with the polytune mini, I became a pedal tuner kind of guy. And I've seen the poly mini 2 and I wants that one now. But I'm very very happy with the poly mini noir I have now. Great little pedal and bypass.

13. Spiffmeister

Spiffmeister Meister of the Spiffs

Apr 26, 2012
    Belgium
    I use the Korg Pitchblack, I'm quite pleased with it, very reliable! Has no issues tracking my low B at all (I wouldn't tolerate my tuner to need a second for that). Quite customisable as well.

The only downside is that the it's hard to read when playing outdoors/in sunlight.

Zos Kia Cultus likes this.
  14. joel kelsey

joel kelsey

Aug 1, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I know.... It's crazy... When I play a D, the thing goes crazy and spins out of control switching to different notes. I've tried everything. I set the "sweet spot" to bass, I've toggled pickups, experimented with passive/active to no avail. It will read the other notes. Thanks for the advice everyone! The TU-3 just quit working in the middle of a 6 hour gig, so I'm wanting to try something else.

15. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Maybe try dialing back the treble and pluck the string nearer the neck, to get less overtones and a stronger fundamental.

16. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    I like LCD pedals like the Peterson Strobo.. You can see the backlit LCD on dark stages as well as Bright outdoor stages or Super Bright Stage lights in fact the LCD type are easier to see the brighter it gets. ... Thats the advantage of the LCD over the LED.. I have found others borrowing my LCD lit pedal on outdoor day gigs .. On brightly lit stages, LED pedals with the RED LEDs are unable to be read at times.
    I like the older Perterson Trobostomp2. .The grey one.. I also have the new Peterson Classic stomp but dont like it for the simple fact that the "#" and "b" sign is way too small to see if you are 40+ and dont have your glasses onHA..
    They should at least make the "#" and "b" blink on that model...
    But I have had the Strobostomp 2 for years.. Battery lasts month and months.. And it accurate.. easy to see.. I dont need anything else.

17. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    It's about $130, which may put it in the "too pricey" category, but the Sonic Research ST-200 Turbo Tuner is, by far, the best tuner I personally have ever used. I've owned most of the Boss tuners at some point, and I've tried the Korg & the TC, which are both great tuners, but the Turbo Tuner is still more accurate and faster and I've never had any problems seeing the display and we play on some bright stages. Honestly, I haven't had any experience with the Peterson, and I'm sure it's a fantastic tuner, but it's $60 more than the Turbo Tuner!

If something happens to my Turbo Tuner, I will buy another one...;)

smeet likes this.
  18. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    Another +1 on the Polytune Mini! I have one of my basses tuned: DAEA and it handles it's tuning no prob!

19. joel kelsey

joel kelsey

Aug 1, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I think I'm going to go with the Polytune 2. Any thoughts? Thanks again for all of your replies!

Joel

20. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    It's a no brainer. Can't beat the Polytuner.