1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Hevy Metal Bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by LeftyBassPlayer, Apr 2, 2004.

1. LeftyBassPlayer

LeftyBassPlayer Guest

Apr 2, 2004
    Pineville,WV
    Hey,

I would like to know who is ,in your opinion, the best hevy metal bassist ever.

2. bill_banwell

bill_banwell

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Rex Brown (pantera)
    James Leech (sikth)
    Ryan Martinie (Mudvayne)

theres some good ones.. cant pick my best though.. ryknow what probably get it. or james.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Not Cliff Burton.

edit- stupid spelling...

4. I agree.....

i would say Doug Wimbish (Living Color, a band much heavier than metallica will ever be), Justin Chancellor (Tool) and if you can count him Tim Commerford (RATM)

5. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland
    My fav. = Steve Harris

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany

7. Wildside

Wildside

Jan 12, 2004
    theater of pain
    i'd say steve harris, wimbish has too many different influences for me to really call him "metal"

8. Thats the attitude that really turned me off metal..."if you play in a metal band you can only listen to metal and must idolise metallica and slayer"..i mean, come on.....thats just being a mindless zombie almost "BRAINS.....BRAINS/METAL.....METAL"

I quit the metal band i was in because (they didn't say it to me) that i wasn't 'metal' enough, because i stood there and was like JPJ focusing on my performance instead of jumping around like i had rammed a cucumber up my ass before i went on stage :eek: :hyper: .....Now thats image sensative!

And you cant say "Postman" isnt heavier than anything metallica's ever done

9. Lemmy and Steve Harris are pretty great IMO. I also think David Ellefson does a great job.

10. John Myung
    Steve Harris
    Martin Henriksson
    Dont know if Cliff Buton is the best metal bassist(as in writing basslines) ever, but he has been extremly imortont for the progress of heavy metal.

11. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    shouldn't geezer butler from black sabbath get at least a mention here?
    great technique, tone and style...

;)

12. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Oh, hooray, another "best bassist" thread. :rolleyes:

How about that dude from Candiria? He's pretty good.

13. i don't know, i guess tim commerford (audioslave/ratm) would be my first choice he counts, also justin Chancellor is awesome.
    Charlie

14. JamersoN!!!!!!!!!

15. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Eddie Van Halen. Hands down.

16. LeftyBassPlayer

LeftyBassPlayer Guest

Apr 2, 2004
    Pineville,WV
    Hey listen,
    I didn't say that Cliff is the best, but he has so pretty cool solos. But I'd have to say that Robbie Merrill(Godsmack), Paul Gray(Slipknot) and finally Geezer Butler are some of my favorites but im not a total meta fan. :bassist:

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Didn't say you said Cliff Burton was the best.

18. Wildside

Wildside

Jan 12, 2004
    theater of pain
    ok dude , I see you've got a lot of pent up frustration here. I just said that I don't think Doub Wimbish is a metal bassist, I think he can play it if he wanted to. But I would consider Living Coulour a funk-rock band if I had to label them. I like to play metal, but more so the european power metal or the 80s hair metal, not so much the modern nu-metal. I agree that Postman is heavier than anything metallica ever did, I always preferred Savatage to Metallica anyway.

19. Godsmack? Slipknot?
    Okay. . . .
    Oh crap. . .
    You're serious?!? :(

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ryan Martinie is probably my FAVORITE. Just because not a lot of bassist incorporate slap with metal. and he has that cool fingertip slapping goin on.