1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Mic and Mic Preamp for Recording ?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Gatortail1, May 16, 2011.

1. Gatortail1

Gatortail1

Feb 5, 2011
    Any thoughts? I'm looking to buy a mic and a pre.

2. What's your budget? Playing arco, pizz, bluegrass?

3. Tons of different mic/pre-amp combos, but this will probably be moved, not about a bass :rollno:

4. Gatortail1

Gatortail1

Feb 5, 2011
    I"m a fan of ribbon mics backed by a UA.

5. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    What is the price range? Maybe the best setup on the planet is a vintage Neumann U 67 with Neve 1073 preamp, is cost more $15.000, but you can build a setup for $300 too.

6. Gatortail1

Gatortail1

Feb 5, 2011
    Build? Do tell...

7. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    I mean put together a recording chain.

8. fwiw the UA stuff doesn't really do it for me. I've used one on cello a bunch of times but never DB - it's ok, but for the price I think there are tons better IMO. I really dig Chandler Limited - just has that loose sound down. Also, by contrast, the A-Design Pacifica is punchy as hell. Again - I'm not a DB'r but I've used these pre's extensively on other things and thought I'd throw in my 2ยข . . .

9. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    I had a record with U87 and tube UA preamp, the combination was fantastic. In my experience, not good to use tube mics with tube preamp, better to use tube mics like U 67 with solid state preamps like Neves, or non tube mics like U87 with Tube preamp like UA 2-610.