Best Noise Gate for Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JT Foster, Apr 14, 2017.

1. JT Foster

JT Foster

Dec 27, 2014
    STL
    My B3 noise gate isn't all that great and takes up space in my patches. It really only gets rid of the buzz while I'm not playing.

Looking at getting a physical noise gate to get rid of the buzz behind my notes. I like how cheap the Behringer is, but I've seen the ISP Decimator up at the store and have heard it is the best of the best. What do you guys recommend?

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Don't know of any that "get rid of the buzz behind my notes" - noise gates are on and off switches. The Zoom ZNR is as good as any IME.

3. JT Foster

JT Foster

Dec 27, 2014
    STL
    Well unless I've been using my Zoom wrong this whole time, I'm only able to use three FX at a time. I'd prefer to have that open space for another effect

4. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I have the B1on which does five at a time. The new B3n does seven at a time :) .

5. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    A hum cancelling pickup, like a Pbass split coil or stacked jazz or MM style.

rugrat likes this.
  6. I've never heard of any noise gate pedal that eliminates noise while your playing without also hurting the tone. Noise gates have no way to distiguish unwanted noise with wanted "noise". They mainly are designed to eliminate noise when you're not playing. For example rest between two notes. And they work by having an adjustable threshold where when the signal drops below that level it mutes everything. While the signal is above that level it it actually doesn't do anything. If you think it sounds like it does that's more likely the sound your making is covering up the noise while you play. There are several types of unwanted noise and IMO there are other solutions that do a better job without sucking tone at all. To name a few. Get a pedal with a ground lift. With my rock band I just use a little pedal train mini powered by a one spot (which gets noise complaints often in online forums) and the ground lift on my darkglass eliminated all ground noise. Sometimes buying better cables helps reduce noise although if you already have good cables it won't help. Reducing feedback noise for example can be as simple as standing farther away from your amp, facing away from your amp, or lowering the volume. Sometimes it's a signal to noise ratio problem where the amp is working harder than it needs to because it's not getting a hot enough signal. For that you could try lowering your master volume on your amp and increasing the volume at the pedalboard just Mack sure youbarent flipping the input of the amp. But that is why most people like to run amps that have a clipping indicator right at the sweet spot where the light blinks when you playing but doesn't stay on for seconds at a time.

Shadowkast likes this.
  7. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    That's what all noise gates do.

You'd need some kind of notch filter to try to get rid of buzz while still hearing notes. But it will probably impact your tone noticeably.

8. JT Foster

JT Foster

Dec 27, 2014
    STL
    I'd like to just sell my B3 and get the new one. I'm not sure how much I would get for it, but that would probably solve my problem if I could use seven effects at once. It also has the Dark OD effect that sounds like a Darkglass.

Thanks for the info guys

RoadRanger likes this.
  9. George Bertok

George Bertok

Jun 9, 2016
    Howdy...I have had an EHX Hum Debugger [ha] for a few days now...removes 99% of single coil junk from my 4003 bass.. whether I am playing or not. It's a miracle!

Tritone likes this.
  10. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Make sure you understand the difference between the regular ISP Decimator and the G String version. IMHO, if you need a noise gate, the G string is the one to get. The patching is a bit more complicated, but the gate key is developed off a clean unprocessed signal so gating is much tighter and more effective.

blip likes this.
  11. mr80htz

mr80htz

May 15, 2018
    Get the Rocktron Micro Hush........

Actually, no, never get that pedal...EVER!
    Worst product ever....

Boss Noise Suppressor is really a super good choice. Not exciting but awesome job done

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021