Best place to buy Extra Long Scale sets?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by PraiseBassing, Aug 30, 2018.

1. PraiseBassing

PraiseBassing Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    Now that BassStringsOnline is no more, where does everyone recommend finding Extra Long Scale sets? I checked a few “string” sites earlier, but didn’t see many Extra Long options.

2. What specific brand and type of strings are you looking for?

Keep in mind terms like "extra long" or "long" can vary in the actual length of the string depending on which manufacturer you're dealing with.

3. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Just Strings

4. The online dealer I normally deal with doesn't have every single option listed on their website like BSO did. But it's just a matter of a quick email to arrange a special order for just about anything.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Beware of the high shipping.

Firstly I'd contact Jason at BSO while you still can. He just got a DR shipment in and their 'normal' sets are like others 'extra long' (38" winding) so it just depends on the winding length you need.

Secondly I recommend www.stringsandbeyond.com as they also have free shipping.

6. PraiseBassing

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    I have been using the La Bella RX strings lately. Just Strings has these priced way too high. Stringsandbeyond is not bad, but will probably have to contact them to get the Extra Long set of RX's. I may look into switching to DR strings. The Nickel Lo-Riders interest me. and the winding length is good. If Dunlop made a Extra Long set of the MM Super Brights, that would be my choice. I loved the feel and sound of them. But the taper on the A-string falls just short of the nut. This was stringing through the body on a 35” scale bass.

My most recent order from BSO was Rotosound 55’s to try and La Bella Super Alloys. Great prices to try them out for the first time.

I know, no real trends in my choices so far.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  7. This was exactly the point I was trying to make in post #2.

Sounds like you need a winding length of 38" (ball end to taper/silk).
    I was going to suggest DR because their "long scale" is actually 38", vs. 37.25 by most other manufacturers. Also, DR strings don't have silk at the end to get in the way, either.

Ken Smith is another brand whose "long scale" is 38".

Here's the list: Bass String Lengths by Manufacturer

8. PraiseBassing

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    Yes, thank you! My original post was really looking for a suggestion of who has the biggest variety available on their site for the longer wind. I did a poor job of getting that point across.

9. I did understand the main point of your original post.
    Based on my experience during the last few years, I know most online retailers only have their best-selling items on the website; if you require anything out of the ordinary, you would have to go through a special order process, which is usually emailing back and forth.

I mentioned DR only because their standard long scale happens to be longer than most at 38" winding. Whoever carries the brand would carry what you need.

PraiseBassing likes this.
  10. PraiseBassing

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    Thanks, I think I’ll check out some Fat-beams. Better price here at the TB Store than stringsandbeyond also.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018