best rock/metal setup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wiggett, Jun 29, 2005.

1. so, just post it. im working all summer at a parttime job, so ill have 1000-2000CDN.

lemme hear what you think is the best setup for this situation.
  2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Ampeg SVT & 810 is the classic rock/metal setup.

If I were you, though, I'd try and get out and try all the different models I could and find the one I (you) personally liked the best, as opposed to what everyone else used. There isn't any 'best' setup, in my personal opinion, the best in the rig that creates a tone different from everything else out there, with a unique personality all its own. Don't be afraid to try out unorthodox rigs.
  3. DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    I know it doesn't sound like much advice, but I think I would go out and play some gear and then decide what will work for YOU. Be open minded and try anything. Personally for me in my rock band I like the large clean solid state amp, clean cabnet and preamp with personality combination the best. To me it works the best for me because we play some places where the room and stage is large and some where it's small, my amp needs to sound like an amp in any setting that we might find ourselves playing in. For you, a tube amp and a speaker with more character might sound awesome, from my experience with that sort of rig is that it does sound great in just the right setting, have to turn it up too loud, doesn't sound right, too quiet doesn't sound right either, see what I mean, tough question.....
  4. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I know I'm going to be liking my Sunn 1200S and my Sunn 215 rig for metal.

It's all about what you like to hear. I personally will never own an ampeg but that is because I like to buck trends and not go the tried and true ways. Hence the Sunn obsession (hey I only have 3 Sunn amps :))

Definately see if you can shop around. Try out a Kustom Groove Bass head if you can I hear they are pretty nice for the money.
  5. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    With that kind of money you can get a whole range of equipment. You can get some nice high quality stuff. Better that try the stuff out first. My suggestion, bring your bass to the music store and play as much gear as you can. Pick out the stuff that you like =).
  6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

+1 on the Kustom Groove Bass. I don't play play metal but do play hard rock (3 Days Grace, Incubus, etc) and the Groove Bass does EXCEPTIONALLY well here! More power than you will EVER need unless you start playing large stadiums anytime soon!
  7. sansamp rbi, through carvin dcm1500 through avatarb212neo?

hmmm. i think that may be my bets bet, and then i can always hook up a second b410 from avatar, and i can get them cheaper here, (in city dealer so no shipping charges)
  8. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I used to be in a hardcore band, and I LOVED the Sansamp BDDI for the distortion and tone you can get out of it. Personally, with that budget I would go with tubes. Mesa 400+ used, and an Avatar stack.

However, the Sansamp Route will save valuable money that you could throw in your instrument fund, I suppose.
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I used Gallien-Krueger gear for every genre from metal to jazz, funk and blues. It works for me, but may not for you. Play what you can.
  10. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    I second G-K. The 1001RB is way beyond loud and through a 4-10 and a 15 you should be able to be heard over just about anything. Play everything you can get your hands on and remember that if it sounds good to you then it is!
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Been there. Wait, strike that, am there.

I've been doing metal for a while now, and I've this to report:

Ampeg head, Eden cabs.

That is all.
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    When I played in a hard rock/metal band, my Eden 410XLT cabs paired up with a Crown power amp and a BBE preamp sounded awesome.

13. yea, i wanna buy a btb1206e by the end of summer too, so the sansamp and poweramp and avatar makes the most sense, plus i get GREAT tone, great power for cheap/

like, the sansamp rbi is can atain any of the tones of the landmark heads (check the sound section off so if it can anywhere near the tone of their tool style, and yes style. i am 100% sold. that tool style is exactly what i want.)

so that makes most sense for me.
  14. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA

That's the kind of tone I assumed you were chasing. Something distorted, but mimicing the warmth of tubes at the same time. The RBI shouldnt disappoint you, if that is the case.
  15. MBIYF

Oct 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    growly pre amp
    Fat power amp
    Efficient cab with 10" and that caan handle a lot of power.

Don't forget to put a compressor in your signal chain