1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best roundwound B for a Q5.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GML, Oct 21, 2009.

1. GML

GML

Oct 1, 2008
    Sierra foothills
    I'm looking for the best nickel round wound strings for a Modulus Q5 that will give a sound between the 3rd and 12th fret on the B string that best matches the sound of the E and A strings.

I am looking for that 'one big string' thing and I would like good pitch definition too.

I am less interested in how bright or dark the strings sound. And if someone has SS experience to share I would be interested in hearing that too.

Some nickel strings I am planning to try are the Sadowsky blue and black label, the R.Cocco's, and the TI SA's. But I would like to hear from people. It will help me pick the order in which to try these or to maybe add other sets to the list.

OK. Any Q5 players have advice to share?

Thank you.

Graeme

2. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

I played a Q6 for a number of years and tried all kinds of strings. The only ones that survived the merry-go-round were DR stainless high beams and/or Lowriders (med).

The high beams are clearer/cleaner in the fundamental and feel looser and smother under your fingers. Good for finger style and great for slap.

The Lowriders are more aggressive sounding and feel stiffer and rougher to the touch... great for that 'midrange bark' bridge pup thang, a good string for players that really dig in.

If you are looking for a good performing string, and you aren't set on a certain style or tone... go out and buy/try both these strings... they are IMO the industry standard.

pat.

3. If it matters... I use Ken Smith Slick Wounds on my Modulus 6. I like the sound the across the board. I think there is a ton of definition to the strings.

I think the recordings on http://www.8301demux.com/scottandfriends.html

The website is complete broken, but i think there are two streaming shows posted there. EMG pickups > Eden WT400 410D and 112XLT.

4. fishstix

fishstix

Feb 28, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I've got DR High Beams on both my Q5 and Q6 right now. However, I haven't been going for that "one big string" deal you're talking about. I use the B as a rounder boomier string when using notes above E. It's about more than position for me I guess but everyone has their own reasons and likings.

For what it's worth, I didn't like nickel strings due to not having enough bite to them for slap stuff. The one draw back to both my Quantums is their slap tone cutting in a mix. The stainless strings seem to help with that a bit. This is more dramatic with my Q6 which has Barts and a Aguilar pre than in my Q5 that has EMGs.

When I bought my Q6 the guy had strung it up with some strings by Zon I think. From what I remember, I really liked those but couldn't find a local distributer. Those were nickel from what I remember. I could be wrong though.

5. StephenR

StephenR

May 21, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I have used Markley Blue Steels on my neck-through Q5 for 21 years. Not a big fan of cycling through different expensive sets of strings if I feel comfortable with the ones I am already using. Rick Turner gave me a few sets of TI strings to check out about ten years ago and I tried a Jazz set a couple of times on the Q5 each time removing them since I didn't like the core tension... great sounding and feeling as far as the wrap goes but a bit too sloppy feeling as far as tension. From reading the forums it seems a lot of folks agree about the low tension on the TI strings being a turn off (I do use and like TI Acousticore strings on my Turner Renaissance). For the way I play (80% with pick, no slapping) I prefer strings that have a tight core tension and slightly stiffer side-to-side feel. B string on my Q5 sounds massive, clean defined fundamentals with tons of sub harmonics, part of that is the strings and instrument but the custom Alembic pickups and electronics I have in the bass contribute too.

That said there are no best strings for any particular bass it really comes down to what you are comfortable with and how you play. So many of the strings on the market are made by the same few companies anyway, IMHO a lot of it is more about marketing than major differences in the strings themselves. For some though a minor difference might make all the difference and I understand the quest...