1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best sounding practice amp for a 5 string

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ger1, Mar 5, 2013.

1. ger1

ger1

Jun 13, 2012
    Budapest, Hungary
    Hey guys,

So I have my old rusty Fender Frontmans, but since I got my VM Jazz 5, they go mad at the B string. So I figured I would do an amp upgrade this year, these folks served me well but it's time to let go! :bassist: :smug:

Now I'm on a budget (starving college student :crying: ) so I'd spend a maximum of 300 € or something along those lines. :rolleyes:

I saw some cheaper Ampegs, Ashdowns, Fender Rumbles / Bronco, etc. Which would handle that B with might? :)

Thanks in advance! :)

2. Might need a little more info, but for a small space I really like the sound of my Acoustic B20 amp in the computer room at home.
    But I play 4 stringers.
    Lots of nice tone to be had.
    Just my 2 pennies worth.
    Jeff

3. Just home practice? Get an EQ pedal and save the money for upgrading to proper amp whn you need one. Meantime use EQ to kill the woofy lows that make your speakers complain.

4. Hock

Hock

May 10, 2011
    B20. I have two. 😁 Two inputs. Quiet no hiss. Good ipod and headphone connect. New $80 sale.

5. metermech

metermech SMOOVE ONE

Mar 17, 2008
    If you just want a practice amp I'd look for a used Ampe BA-115..I've really like that amp just not loud enough to gig with..great tone for the house/bedroom to me..

6. For practicing by yourself id get a sans amp and a headphone amp. The sans amps direct sound is not limited by the range of speakers. So It handles low notes very well. Great for low f# string as well

7. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    YOu could use mine- GB Streamliner 900 into DNA 112DNS.
    (Of course this is also my gig rig when I add another 210 or 112 cab to it) But the good thing is I always have good tone- which equals more practice!

8. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I use my PF500 plugged into a small, sealed car subwoofer with a 150 watt 10" MCM bass speaker.

9. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    I am very impressed with the low end definition I get from my Acoustic B30 at solo practice volumes. I do not, however, use a fiver, though I suspect it would still be good for your purposes. The speaker is bigger than most 30watt practice amps will have and the enclosure is good-sized as well. It seems I am getting a lot of tone from the enclosure, whereas my older 15 watt 1x8 needed to be louder to sound good because it all had to come from the speaker, the little box did nothing.

Unfortunately, big speaker small watts don't come together on too many combos these days and you can't get Acoustic stuff anywhere in Europe. However, do look for something with some size to the enclosure and speaker. Fender's current Rumbles have similar speaker sizes to the competition but their enclosures are a little bigger. I found the Rumble 30 with it's 10" speaker pretty impressive as well.

10. wmheilma

wmheilma

Jan 5, 2010
    I recently picked up an Eden Micro 8 that works really well for practicing alone. It does not cut it with a drummer, but it's quite articulate for coming up with new lines or solo ideas as well as running through scales and such. For ensemble practice I would use something bigger. The smallest rig I typically bring to rehearsal or play out with is a Genz Benz Shuttle MAX 6.0 and an LDS 4x8. It is great for smaller club gigs! For bigger gigs I'll use the 4x8 with a 1x15 built to match it. Anyway, I picked up the little Eden for $80 used which did not break the bank.

11. I use an acoustic b200 for practice at home and a preamp into a crown with an 8x8 for full practice and gigs