1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best strings for smooth jazz?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lucas vigor, Jan 17, 2012.

1. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I admit I have not bought any new strings since 2003, so I have no clue what is out there (Yes, all my basses currently have old flats)

so what I am looking for is a good choice for Smooth jazz, urban, etc....obviously round wound.

I only like Nickel strings, and am looking for that hi-end, sophisticated sound, not a growly or wild sound at all....

any suggestions?

2. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Banned

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
    Oh, the irony...

3. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    I like the DR Sunbeam, I get all of the spectrum I like on my 5 string bass with these.

4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    You want DR strings. I would recommend either Hi-Beams or Fat Beams. Yes, they're both stainless steel, but maybe you should try them anyway, as you might be pleasantly surprised. I certainly was. Very little of that annoying metallic clack in the upper midrange. Smooth and relatively warm for stainless steel strings, but still bright and modern.

If you're still dead-set against stainless steel, then try the Sunbeams or the nickel Lo-Riders... :meh:

MM

5. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I have La Bella Deeptalking strings flats that came with my fretless................:)

6. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    I'm not sure rounds are the only choice these days. D'Addario Chromes and THomastik Infeld flats are two flatwound sets that you might find appropriate for the style.

7. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    How about the hi end strings? Fodera, Smith, etc...? Anyone using those for the types of music I listed?

8. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I have 5 basses. All have flats. I already use chromes, TIs, etc...I am looking for the best strings for smooth jazz, which includes slapping.

9. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    What do you mean?

10. onebassplayer5

onebassplayer5 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    I use Ken Smith Custom 5s with .44 G - Love them! DR is also a very good string which I have also used, just have a personal preference for KS currently.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The best strings for smooth jazz are the exact same strings that are best for metal...whatever the heck you want.

12. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

Sep 2, 2011
    Los Angeles
    You'll definitely want rounds so I second the Hi-Beams suggestion. I don't hear flats used very often for smooth jazz. Most bassists of the genre have a Marcus-esque tone.

13. I've been moving into Jazz for the past three years and the only strings I like for it are Elixir Nanos.

Admittedly I've been playing the small dinner clubs and some Cheese & Wine tasting rooms, and these strings fit the venues very well.

Not boom-y, not shrill and no string whizzing at all. When you play a small jazz combo, string noise stands out badly.

I think the coating makes them a lot faster too and since they are coated, I can get 6-8 sets in without the strings eating up my fingers.

Plus they last forever if you don't aggressively over-clean them.