1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best tourists.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, May 24, 2007.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSL2273073120070523?feedType=RSS

Guess and then read. :p

Link from source ^ above, article below.

LONDON (Reuters) - The best tourists in the world are the Japanese, followed by Americans and the Swiss, a survey based on views from hoteliers across Europe said Wednesday.
    Japanese tourists stood out for being polite and tidy, securing 35 percent more votes than the Americans who came second.
    Swiss tourists were commended for being quiet and considerate, unlike the Britons who were judged to be the fifth worst tourists because of rude behavior, noise and a miserly attitude to tipping.
    But despite their faults, hoteliers do look favorably upon British spending habits voting them the third biggest holiday spenders after Americans and Russians.

if(!CMSB_ID){var CMSB_ID=""} CMSB_ID+="052307_MIDART_editorschoice,";document.write('');

Based on responses from 15,000 European hoteliers, the survey carried out on behalf of travel Web site Expedia showed that the worst tourist nation was France, followed by India, China and Russia.
    Britain was second in the worst-dressed tourist table which was headed by the Americans, and fifth in the least-generous table which was headed by the Germans.

2. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep.

3. I completely agree that the Brits are the worst dressed, and whenever I go to the mall; all I see are fat English soccer fans.

4. Having worked in the tourist industry for the past two years, that seems to be scarily accurate.

I've never been tipped by a British person, and just about every Japanese person I've met just seemed a little too happy to be on vacation. :p I must be in over a hundred Japanese photo albums.

And on the whole, Indian people smell really bad. (The French come in a distant second)

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Did someone from Northern Ireland tip you? Maybe someone from the Isle of Man?

6. Yep... second only to Americans :p

7. And now for something completely different:

8. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    The disturbing thing about this is that my own experiences confirm that it's very probably true.

Like all societies, we Brits are unfortunately cursed with a sizeable underclass. The difference between ours and other countries' is that ours tend to get about more. :eek:

9. (snip travel agency sketch tirade by Mr. Smoke Too Much)

Classic Python! :D

10. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    guess other countries don't have americans quite as much as some would lead you to believe. the way americans are perceived in other countries means little to nothing to me anyway. hasn't effected any of my travels yet. my whiteness is keeping me from going to egypt tho, so maybe my whole post is pointless as usual. oh how i want to go to egypt. but i went to bali when the u.s. government was warning against going to indonesia. i saw a hotel on tv where you can see the great pyramid out of your room window. i'd love to stay there.

11. JNowiski

JNowiski

Jan 16, 2006
    Fayetteville/NC
    yeah, i couldn't really see the point of this post :rolleyes: . I'd like to go to Russia to practice my russian, or Poland to see where my family came from...yes, i know i said poland is where i came from but i want to go to russia to practice my russian. :confused:

-Jon

12. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

What about Canadians?

13. What about them? :meh:

:p

14. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Everyone knows there hasn't been a Canadian outside of Canada in decades. :p

15. JNowiski

JNowiski

Jan 16, 2006
    Fayetteville/NC
    you know, i know a lot of people that bad mouth canadians and whenever i ask them why they have know answer "Just because! They're Canadians!" anyways, all my posts are stupid and pointless. But i want to go to canada.

-Jon

16. Here in Florida we have Yankees, they are the tourists that come, visit and go home.

We also have DAMN Yankees, they're the ones that come, visit and stay :mad: :rolleyes: :rollno:

17. JNowiski

JNowiski

Jan 16, 2006
    Fayetteville/NC
    hahahaha, nice!

-Jon

18. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    All the Canadians I've met have been very polite and nice, so far. I haven't met them all yet.

19. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I can definitely agree with everything.
    Being from one of the most famous tourist traps in the world, and working ONLY in the tourist industry, I see this a lot.
    Also, Japanese people seem to have no sense of "covering up".
    I worked in a Waterpark and MAN don't get me started.

20. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    heh, my jazz teacher is from Canada. He's about the most belligerent (and funny) ******* I've ever met.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021