Best transducer for double bass/jazz?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by adamgottschalk, Sep 22, 2005.

1. adamgottschalk

Aug 24, 2003
    I'm surveying opinions on what the best transducer pickup system is for double bass. I talked to my tech yesterday, who does not work on DB, and he recommended K&K over B-Band. We both agreed we didn't like Fishman transducers. I play jazz, blues, rock, covers, etc. I have an LR Baggs PADI, and ART Tube MP, and a Peavey keyboard amp. I also have a Bassman 100 combo (with defeatable tweeter), which is used as a preamp for a Hafler P3000 which feeds one Raezer's Edge bass cab and one GK cab. It would be nice if the pickup were in the $100-$150 range. I searched the forum but didn't find much if anything on pickups.
  2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Look at the newbie links at the top of this category. The amount of information is dizzying.
  3. adamgottschalk

Aug 24, 2003
    Wow. That is a lot of info. Thanks.
  4. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Have you looked at the Fishman Full Circle? Several people here use them. I personally like the Full Circle much better than a K&K Bass Max that I also have.
  5. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I like my K&K Bass Max. I get many compliments on my tone. It's easy on and off, and the price is right.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The best I've ever used is by far the Clef Revolution Solo. Excellent sound, almost no possibility of feedback unless you crank it and stand right next to your amp, elegant looking and easy to install. The only complaint I've ever seen about it is its slightly low output, but I don't think it would sound as good, nor be as easy to control feedback, if it was louder.
  7. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    If you go down the page of threads you will find a long discussion of the Revolution Solo pickup.

Ric Vice

I just ordered one of these pickups yesterday,
    based on the posts.
  8. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

In that price range, it's the Revolution Solo-- hands down!

In fact, IMHO, it holds it's own quite well with transducers 2-3 times its price.
  9. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Thruout most of his career Ray Brown used an Underwood. It's still the industry standard for most of us working pros in or from Los Angeles who play jazz. Cost about $120, last time I checked. Many guys use it with a pre-amp, but the truth be told, you really don't need one if you have a decent amp! In my bag of tricks I also have a Revolution Solo, a Stat-B, and a Realist.
    But 9 times out of ten I'll go back to the Underwood. It just has that "thing" that I like for jazz.
  10. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004

I have found that the sound of a pick up can change dramatically based on the amp you are using. I have a Full Circle and a Rev. Solo on my bass. I used to use the Full Circle and switched to the Solo, keeping the Full Circle on my bass as a back up. My usual amp is a SWR, but I tried an Acoustic Image and suddenly the Full Circle sounded way better than the Solo. I decided I like the SWR better than the AI, so I'm back to using the Solo.

Bottom line, the pick up is one part of the chain. With each bass being different, and endless combinations of amps and cabinets, it gets hard to say which one is best.

When a lot of bass players have gone through a lot of pick ups and start ariving at a consensus, then the cream starts to rise to the top. There was a recent poll about pick ups that seemed to have good info. Solo, Full Circle, Realist, K&K, Underwood, etc... You gotta just buy 'em & try 'em.
  11. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri

I had a similar situation last night. I used my Clevenger EUB into a Acoustic Image Contra Series I. That combination was great. Using the Realist with the Contra did not yield the same results.

12. bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    It is rather complicated at times, eh?

Even changing the bridge can affect how a pickup sounds. I changed the bridge on my carved Czech bass several years ago and had a Kolstein adjustable bridge installed, with the hardwood adjusters (vs. aluminum).

I was shocked (and dismayed) that the sound I was getting from my pickup (K&K Bass Master Pro at the time) changed radically. The only thing that had changed was the bridge - same pickups, same bass, same strings, same amp, same preamp, cords, et al.

Granted, certain pickups (in this case especially the K&K Double Big Twin) are very sensitive to placement. And wing pickups are sensitive to pressure and placement.

But I do remember at the time being really shocked at how just changing the bridge changed the overall sound (when amplified).

All that being said, based on my experience I can recommend the K&K Bass Max and the Revolution SOLO as excellent starting points, and they are within the price range that you mentioned.
  13. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    I think it also has alot to do with the bass. I have two basses, both with Realists, that sound drastically different from eachother.