1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Two-Channel Preamp for Doubling?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by edfriedland, Jan 28, 2018.

1. edfriedland

edfriedland

Sep 14, 2003
    Austin, TX
    I figured I'd throw this question out to the hive... I'm sure it's been covered before, and yes... tell me to search the archives... etc....

I'm using a Pz-Pre to double on my gig, and while it has all the features I need, notably Phase Invert, HPF, Variable Notch, Impedance Switchable Inputs, Sweepable Mids, DIs, etc... I keep thinking there must be something better out there. The Radial is okay...I've had issues with the input jacks, but it gets heavy use... I won't blame that totally on the piece. One main drawback is not having separate eq for each channel.

I've checked out the specs on the Felix, looks great... but you have to choose between Notch or HPF on each channel... I need both. I also can't find a phase reverse switch.

Any favorites out there?

Foxrock321 likes this.
  2. flatback

flatback Supporting Member

May 6, 2004
    Ok Ed heres for something new and different: I am going to review here a new preamp (after NAMM) called the Paradox hand made in Turkey by Gadgetronics. Harun makes great gear and although this preamp is not cheap it offers some serious upgrades to the discerning pro.....
    check it out:
    gadgetronicsaudio

edfriedland and mrbaloo like this.
  3. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Wow, I’m looking forward to seeing your review....

4. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    if you like the pz pre but want the separate eq sections, get the one they make with the separate eq sections. its essentially the same thing except with overdrive, which you dont need to use. you can engage the high impedance input for your upright bass.
    Bassbone OD Bass Preamp and DI box

way cheaper than the felix
    i would totally get this if i didnt already have a pz pre.

equill likes this.
  5. SamuelHarris

SamuelHarris Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Detroit MI USA
    Lord, I thought the Felix had a lot of knobs and switches!

6. edfriedland

edfriedland

Sep 14, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Wow! That looks pretty comprehensive! Expensive for sure! Frankly, it looks too delicate for the kind of roadwork I do, and maybe too complex for live work... but it’s very impressive.

I didn’t know the Bassbone OD has individual eq for each channel. Does it also have phase invert and HPF?

7. flatback

May 6, 2004
    Wait I thought you all wanted more knobs? THe Paradox has some features that I really like (dont have it yet) like extensive eq and dael mic imputs. The thing about Harun is that every one is hand made so It is conceivable to have a preamp tailored to your needs. For example I don't need in ear monitoring capabilities but would love variable phase. It may only be a practical solution for a very small number of players who can use it's extensive capabilities. Anyway I will know more later.

8. flatback

May 6, 2004
    I dont think it is delicate though

9. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I'm a moderately proud owner of a bassbone od . I got it for the switch and individual EQ options. For those reasons it's fantastic, but it has some quirks after messing with it for some time.

The headphone jack, which would be great, is ultimately useless because it requires headphones with at least 150 ohms. The overdrive is a little dark, an is really tough to get to unity. Lastly, to use the upright only, you'll have to put a dummy cable into input 2 or it will overload and get a weird popping/ clicking sound. This is also the case when using a single electric bass in channel a.

It has a low roll off, but it's not a progressive knob, but two choices.

I know this sounds really negative, but it's just quirky. Other than these issues the pre is great. I periodically look around to see if there is something better for my needs, and there really isn't.

I believe there is one for sale on one of the classifieds here for 200. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

10. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    Yup. Actually not sure if it has a phase inverter as it is a two channel switching box and not a blender but it may have one. But it has 2 separate hpf for each channel

11. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    Is this true? I'm shocked about the dummy cable thing. Is that still the case? Why would that be necessary if one channel is on and the other is off. Why would it make a difference what the other channel is doing?

12. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I wish I had a great answer for you. This is just what I've found through my tinkering. I have a post on the other side with an audio clip . I also read somewhere in the deep cut threads here that the impedance boost doesn't work unless there is a dummy cable. They used a pancake 1/4" connector with no cable with the same results .

13. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I'm very happy with the Grace Felix, and the 5 Year Warranty is a great thing.

Ric

flatback likes this.
  14. edfriedland

edfriedland

Sep 14, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Separate HPF is nice. Phase inversion is also useful for when the power is out of phase with the top of the bass.

15. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    i like my AI flex

I use it to double on acoustic guitar and DB - going to try it for BG and DB next

has most of the features you describe and not as expensive - got one on reverb for $400

works great!

16. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    Yep. I ordered mine from Gollihur a couple of years ago, and they ship it with the dummy connector. It's not a big deal at all if you know about it, but it does seem like something Radial would address.

17. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I would agree, it definitely has some quirks as they tried to put too many features in it. I use a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter plug to put in the second channel if I am only using one bass. Don't know how many times I had to learn this lesson to figure out why nothing sounds good. Then "aha, gotta plug something into the other channel to get the high z working!!" maybe a dozen times. This is an example of too many features, as when you only have one bass plugged into one channel there is a setting where you can use both channels and use different eq on the two channels and switch between them. Not sure how many people actually want to do that. I'm not a big fan of the OD as I can't figure out how to engage it and keep unity gain. Also could not figure out the fx loop but that was probably user error.

If they took out the fx loop and OD and added a notch on one of the channels it would be a lot better for DB. As it is it is a pretty decent pre for doubling. I do like how you can tailor the input impedance for both my piezo and my vintage P and switching and muting works very well. And it happens that the eq settings are different than my Tonehammer 500 so I can get a lot more control over tone using the two. Overall it seems well built and has held up well and is a big improvement over a simple AB switch.

I can see how you would definitely want eq on both channels, esp if using db and bg. They are a little different. (not on the Pz-Pre)

18. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    That looks killer... now I sort of want this instead of a Felix

19. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I would want to know what their warranty policy was, or if it could be serviced stateside. I emailed them about this. Newer gear dosen’t usually need much attention but shipping two and from Turkey could be expensive.

Ric

Josh Kneisel likes this.
  20. flatback

May 6, 2004
    Sorry for the derail...Im gunna start a new thread about the Paradox when I get it to review. It is def a kitchen sink preamp with lots of features.