1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Way to Emulate a Guitar?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Snakeman1066, Apr 6, 2009.

1. So one of the gui****s quit....and we have decided not to replace him.....so to carry the rhythm....which pedal do you think...in combination with overdrive/Distortion/Fuzz...would best help me emulate a guitar? Octave up?

all suggestions welcome

2. Just swallow your pride and get another guitarist.When it comes down to it,as much as I hate to say it,we can't really live w/out them.

3. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Or ignore the muso elitists and ham up the techinque to cover the sonic holes that the missing second guitarist created. Bass doesn't have to be all "thump thump thump" all the time.

Just play out a little more during the basslines - it doesn't have to be all effects.

4. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Fender Rhodes.

5. Sure you can, put a bunch of ball bearings in a blender, mic it up and hit purée. Combine that w/ a cardboard cut out and you're set. No one will even notice. :bassist:

6. Silver Hammer

Silver Hammer

Aug 17, 2006
    If you really want to use effects though sounds like a good excuse for an Akai Unibass.

7. Double neck.

8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Play one of these ...

4003bt%20032.

9. HHHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

10. gee thanks guys your a lot of help....

seriously i already run a stereo set up one cab dirty the other clean....

i want to try and emulate a guitar during the solo's

and I'm already rewriting bass lines to cover sonic space....

now back to the topic at hand....

11. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    While you're doing that, who is going to emulate the bass?

12. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Second rig, through some low end sucking distortion pedals, into small speakers, a/b box, or just run them in stereo.

The GT-10B also has a "lead guitar" patch.:ninja:

13. I would recommend a Little Big Muff. Kick it on when you need gui**** grind.

A MicroPog set to full oct. up could do something, but you have said you don't like those.

Also: Consider an 8-string bass.

I'm in a similar but different position. I'm the only source of noise other than a drummer.

14. Play chords with some nice grinding overdrive.

15. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    He wants to solo, 8's are not easy to solo, with any speed, and they are really hard to control distortion with.

16. Shroom

Shroom

Dec 12, 2006
    My new Akai Unibass came in last week and it sounds pretty sweet. I wouldn't use it for recording rhythm guitar parts, but I imagine once I get a good distortion behind it it should plenty good enough for live situations. The cruddy distortion built into it almost sounds good enough already.

But anyways, it can do octave up, octave up and a 5th above that, octave up and a 4th below that (which would be a 5th above you bass signal, i guess), and it can do all this with or without your original bass signal coming through.

17. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    That's the question right there. Honestly, we bass players have enough to do in a band, if you need 2 guitarists, find another to replace the one you lost. Even an octave up is still an octave below a standard guitar. Play some chords, use some modulation, but don't try to do something that can't really be done.

18. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    Sounds like you need a set of Taurus pedals.....

;)

19. not trying to be a tool, but apparently people don't read posts...lol

I'm already running a stereo rig....a 4x10 which gets run very dirty and a single 15" than gets run clean

I'm already pumping an OD into a BBM into and RPM and then into the 4x10 it gets close but doesn't quite sound like a guitar

the 15 signal is basically Bass - RBI - 15"

so i'm looking for an effect to anf a bit more high end to the 4x10 maybe a distrotion like the C-pig, or running an octave up between the OD and the BBM

looking at the angry Fuzz by visual sound
    and the GZ by Devi Ever which i have tried/heard a pretty much like...

any other suggestions?

20. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    what are you attempting to do?
    1 cover the sonic of a 2nd guitar in a band?,
    2 do solos that sound like guitar solos? OR
    3 record the guitar part with your bass?

the 1st one is not really hard IME, just turn up a bit of mids with fresh nickel plated rounds and consider playing with a pick and a bit of gain in the amp, you`ll get a powerfull pop punk tone that fills all sonic space a band needs

2nd one there are many options, try and octaver pedal with a overdrive using only bridge pickup to get that trebly distortion, i know there is people with better suggestions here