1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best way to wire my rig....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Langueta, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    Need advice please
    Best ways to connect
    Gallien krueger 1001rb2
    Dbx 160a compressor
    Hartke xl4x10
    Hartke xl1x15
    Boss ceb 3-chorus
    Sansamp para driver di
    Thanks
    Yesterday I finished buying all and I don´t have experience

2. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    If you don't even know how to connect all that stuff, why do you think you need it all?

If you're asking what order to put it in, I'd put it in this order

bass -> dbx 160a -> ceb-3 -> sansamp -> GK -> 410 -> 115

but then again, if it was me, I wouldn't have anything more than

bass -> GK -> 410 -> 115

3. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    I will need the sansamp tuby sound for some songs, the compressor for that acid jazz-pop bass sound, the chorus for the solos with the fretless..I have experience playing but know I am playing with pros, I am new playing live regularly.
    When I turn of the sansamp it will sound as if I was wiring direct to the GK????

4. Sorry just to much "stuff" for this seasoned bass player, but to each his or her own?

5. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I'm not sure of the specifics of each of the pedals you're using, but if each is equipped with a true bypass, then yes, when they are off, the sound will be as if you are running straight into the GK.

6. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    I don´t know if the sansamp has a true bypass...It has phantom-ground connect, Line-inst output, line-inst xlr

7. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi Langueta.

You've owned a Sans Amp Para Driver DI since Sept. '07. Have you not downloaded its manual yet?

--------

Downloadable product manuals can be an illuminating source of information...

8. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Ok, getting a great sound on stage does not always equal a good sound to the sound guy. If you are playing live with a sound guy/PA System, he will compress your tone. Unless you HAVE TO HAVE the compressor, return it. Using it for a few songs is not worth it at all. Using it all the time is a different story. Don't connect the Sansamp, a slightly tubier and grinding tone can be helpful on certain songs, but the amount of tone difference this unit will make is not worth it at all. The GK amp grinds plenty on its own. The Chorus pedal can be helpful - keep it if you really want to use it.

I am sorry I am being blunt here - but seriously, if you don't have experience with this gear regularly and/or live, don't bother with it until you learn how it all works. You will have one hell of a time trying to figure out what went wrong with your rig at gig time - especially on a dark stage with no flashlight.

I am suggesting plugging your bass straight into the GK head and be done with it. Plug your tuner into the back of the GK head and you can tune silently. Make it easy as pie so you don't have to worry about your tone live. It is truly unnecessary to worry so much on your first shows. You can't enjoy your time on stage while constantly thinking about what tone you need for what song.

9. Sound advice (forgive the pun) :)

10. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    I think it was a good advice...To clarify, I will use the compressor in all the songs...Not because of bad technique but because I like a compressed sound (not vey compressed but with a bit of compressor)
    I slap in some songs and then play fingerstyle in the some song, and I play a lot muting with the palm of my right hand and playing with my thumb (I think a compressor will help me to get an overall better sound)
    Moreover a compressor can help to control my emotions. Sometimes when I play live I begin one song playing with a lighter touch and when it is finishing I tend to play stronger cause I am more into the tune, or beacuse the drummer is playing louder.
    So I think a compressor is a fundamental tool, with the style I am playing (eric johnson, joe satriani, lee ritenour, soul, funk)
    If so, how can I wire it...bass to compressor and compressor to Gk??
    I can leave the sansamp only for recording, or I can use the GK for recording (I will record in one month)

11. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    You can run thru the compressor anywhere in the chain, really. No right or wrong, it just depends on how you want to use it. Generally, most people would run a stompbox compressor first in the the chain, and rackmount compressor in the effect loop (since they usually are line level instead of instrument level. I would put it in the effect loop first. If it doesn't behave the way you'd like it to, plug your bass directly into it.

12. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    So I conect the bass to the compressor, and the compressor to the effects loop of th GK?????
    Wich is teh best way to wire the gk head to the hartke cabs????

13. With speaker wire.

14. I didn't start including a compressor in my live rig until I started carrying multiple basses and running several stomp boxes for live shows. I 'wire' my rig: bass (or wireless receiver, depending on venue size) -> stomp boxes -> compressor -> amp (my amp, an SVT-3pro, has an XLR direct out with pre/post preamp switch and an adjustable output level, so I don't need a direct box). I don't even use the FX loop. The compressor gives me a more consistent input signal to the amp which, of course means a more consitent level going to the PA. That way the sound guy doesn't start whining when I switch basses, start slapping with my wah pedal, etc. :D
    This is of course, when I'm palying a rock/metal show. For country gigs, I just plug my 5-string into a combo amp! :bassist:

EDIT:
    P.S. - No... He means the way I use mine: bass ->whatever else you're using -> compressor -> your amp's input (where you would nornally plug the bass into).

15. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi Langueta.

Your amp's downloadable manual will answer this.

In fact, it would be a good idea to study ALL of the manuals for all the gear that you own.

--------

I'll go out on a limb and opine that you are experiencing a degree of anxiety caused by pre-show jitters, and are seeking something of a 'security blanket' in all of the gadgets you feel that you need.

As other posters have suggested, keep your live gear dead simple until you know how to use it all at home and in band rehearsals.

For the near future, just practice your parts until you can play them in your sleep, and when you are playing live, focus on relaxing, playing your bass/listening to your band, and having a good time. :bassist: :)

That way you/your band - and your audience - will have one too.

16. Resko One

Resko One

Mar 12, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Agreed! Tone doesn't come from the hundreds of pedals strewed across the stage like you were a solo guitarist. In my opinion it comes from the right amp/cabinet/bass combination. Search until you find the sound you want utilizing that combination, then consider maybe adding an effect or two. Gotta love the simplicity of the bass sound!