Beta 10's vs Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by full_bleed, Sep 3, 2005.

1. full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    I was reading the sensitivity ratings for the eminence beta 10's and comparing them to the SVT-810HPC. Would the ampeg cab really be that much louder than similair designed cab loaded with 8 beta 10's?
  2. WinISD shows 8 Beta10s at 103db @ 1w/1m for a large sealed box. The Ampeg SVT-810hpc is 100db @ 1w/1m. The Eminence cab would actually be a little louder but the difference wouldn't be huge.

Max spl is 136 vs 131 in favor of the Eminence cab. Both cabs are similar as far as specs go BUT the tone they produce may alter your perception of volume. My guess is they would sound equally loud.
  3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    WinISD is wrong. One of the shortcomings of the program is that it relies on manufacturers SPL specs and those can be quoted at just about any frequency. The Beta's spec in WinISD B is 98 dB; in WinISD A it's a more reasonable 94dB. Eminence SPL charts show that it does hit 98dB, but only at 3kHz. At 100Hz, a more logical place to measure sensitivity for a woofer, Eminence says it's 90dB. Eight of them in a 15 cu ft sealed box will actually get about 99dB/1watt, very close to the Ampeg figure, and rightfully so as the Ampeg driver specs suggest that it is an OEM version of the Beta. That's with f3 at 80 Hz, less than spectacular to say the least for a box that big. BTW, a vented box makes a lot more sense, as the same 15 cu ft tuned to 50 Hz would give a 1dB response bump centered at 100 Hz and f3 at 52Hz.
  4. Yea that's why I included the WinISD disclamer. I did it quick and dirty for a rough comparison. That is also why I mentioned that the tone of the cab would have an influence. Sorry but I was a little bit lazy about it :D
  5. full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    awesome guys thanks. That's was the answer I was looking for.