1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Better signal from Avalon U5

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jorgensen2004, Sep 26, 2013.

1. jorgensen2004

jorgensen2004

May 13, 2011
    Hello.

In my home recording setup I started using my Avalon U5. For a long time I have been using Line 6 UX2 with Podfarm which I'm running in my macbook and Garageband.

Right now when I listen my bass sound through the Avalon U5's headphone output I have a nice warm bass sound that I would really like to capture in my recordings.
    But when I am recording I have to run the signal from the Avalon (Balanced line level 600 ohm) to the line 6 UX2 (line input 1/L), and when I does this I loose all the warm sound from the Avalon. I tried having no effects in podfarm, but the sound is just not right.

Do anyone know if I somehow can use my Line 6 UX2 totally bypassed? Or should I look for another soundcard, in this case which kind and can I find a good one for 130 EUR?

- Have a nice day.

2. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    First-off, I'm surprised that you would use the line level output to feed an audio interface. Typically the mic output is what you would use, but you'll need to consult your interface's manual to know for sure.

Secondly, have you tried listening to the recorded track in GarageBand without Podfarm at all? I know you said that you have tried using no effects in Podfarm, but what about removing it entirely from your GarageBand session?

3. The Avalon U5 can deliver enough output to drive the line input of the interface. That's not the problem.

I would think that the AD converter on the UX2 is the reason why the sound is lacking.
    Decent quality AD converter are cheap nowadays, so you can find something with a €130 budget.
    take a look at the Presonus Audiiobox and Focusrite Scarlett Interfaces.

P.S what kind of cable are you using? You have to use an XLR to TRS cable in order to get the full signal. If you're using an XLR to TS you're losing 6dB of gain, which might be also responsible for the loss of perceived sound quality.

4. Rokoko

Rokoko

Nov 30, 2008
    and make sure your soundcard is set to the correct level.

A balanced +4 db signal using a TRS cable or a -10db unbalanced signal running in a TS cable.

I did much tracking on EMU cards where this has to be set manually, and if there is a mismatch it often sounds weak.

that is: make sure you have the correct cable for the connection you are making and that both ends of the chain (avalon and line6 soundcard) are set to the correct setting

5. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    It appears line ins on the back of the ux2 are not balanced so an XLR to TRS into line in is not an option.

You should use mic level out to XLR into ux2 mic input.

If you upgrade your interface and get one with dedicated TRS line ins then use XLR line out to TRS line in.

6. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    yea the problem is that super cheap interface, never going to get a good sound that way.