Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BEWARE Ampeg on Ebay

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KingOfAmps, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Perhaps the Seller is just naive but a currently listed SVT is being described (and supposedly with the aid of an SLM employee) as one of the 500 Skunkworks from '87.

It ain't.

Wanted to point this out because a lot of TBers mention wanting one and usually are prepared to pay a premium for it so watch out!

All this being said, the SVT he has listed could still be a fine sounding amp and a good buy. But it is not a Skunkworks.

If this is in the wrong forum please move.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=3744781242&rd=1

2. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm just wondering how you know it's not a skunkworks? You just said that it's not you never gave a reason as to how you think or know that it's not?

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    kingofamps knows ampeg

4. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I can trust that what he's saying is true, But I'm still interested in hearing the deatils.

5. It's an MTI SVT, made before SLM bought Ampeg.

6. It doesn't have the brass plaque on the back and the cabinet it is housed in is a plain rectangular box not angled on the top. And it doesn't say SLM on the rear face plate. I am also willing to bet that it has Japanese components inside it. Its in great shape though and I have always wanted to compare one fo these to an older model.

7. As ampegsvtca has pointed out, The devil is in the details!

The one up for auction has the old-school paper S/N tag. The fact that it's still there is kinda amazing actually. "Skunkworks" SVTs had very obvious etched brass S/N plates that were riveted on the rear screens. See pic.

Also, MTIs typically had the white "piping" around the front grill. Skunkworks did not even though later SLM product does. (Probably their attempt to make them as vintage looking as possible.) See pic below. The MTI is on top. The Skunkworks is on the bottom.

The overhead shot in the auction shows the distinctive-to-MTI shaped housing. These and the other points made by ampegsvtca are the dead giveaways.

The only curveball I see is the front badge location. They're typically on the right
    side of the MTIs which is unique. This one is on the left. If it was moved by the Seller it could indicate a desire to deceive. But prolly not.

And again, I'm only wanting to point out that its's not a Skunkworks. It's still an SVT (the greatest amp to ever exist in the history of mankind). And if given the choice I'd prolly take it over a bona fide Skunkworks (but that's mostly for other very very screwy and convoluted reasons that would just bum everybody out if we went into them so we will not go there now).

8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I'd like to know... :confused:

9. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I figured that you saw that it wasn't a sunkworks because of some minor details. I just wanted to know what features are different.

10. And if given the choice I'd prolly take it over a bona fide Skunkworks (but that's mostly for other very very screwy and convoluted reasons that would just bum everybody out if we went into them so we will not go there now).[/QUOTE]

I would like to know as well.

11. Correct. This was a case of minor cosmetic stuff that just jumps out at me from years and years of looking at SVTs. You should see me break out the monacle when doing a "live" inspection. :D

Also, it should be known that I owe a lot of my understanding to Psycho Bass Guy. In my book he is the real King of amps.

12. Now that I've had a few beers it doesn't sound so screwy. :p

My experience with most things amps is the older the better. I simply believe that they were built better and built out of better "stuff". This is why even today Ampeg (or at least AmpegInsider who works there or possibly owns the place :ninja: ) will tell you that if they built an SVT today just like they did 25 years ago it would sell for $5000 :eek: in order for them to make any money. And I believe it!

More importantly is the sound which is tied to the circuit. The circuit I like the most is found in the older ones fer sure. I'm not saying that to push some elitist, vintage smoke-and-mirrors crap either. I'm saying it because I wanted getting an SVT to be as easy as going to the store and buying a new one. But, for me, it wasn't. I know this because I went to the store several times and bought all the new ones. They sounded nice. None of them sounded like ass. But there is a stark difference between them and the old ones (Is this horse dead enough yet?!? Look! I think it just twitched!! Yep, it did...) and the newer. And this basser had to have the old one. Oh my G*d the tone!!!

13. Fred Labbidie

Fred Labbidie Guest

Apr 22, 2004

The older the better? If that is the truth, let me tell you what I think. I think that bass players today want to pay very little for their amp. They are willing to pay $3,000 and up for Fender style bass with a good fret job; but they are not willing to pay $3,000 for an amp with expensive parts that may have taken hours or days to build. Guitar players are willing to pay good money for their amps, hence you find a whole bunch of amazing (and expensive guitar amps) Bogner, Buddha, Carr, etc....) these amps are certainly comparable to the Fender Deluxe's and twins of the 60's. Maybe better..
    I had an original SVT back in day, I bought it used and it was an enormous investment in 1973 (or whenever, brain has faded a bit). This was the most expensive bass amp available at the time.

I don't know if I believe that it would cost $5,000 to build an SVT that kicks butt; but I'm sure it would be expensive. My question for Ampeg is:
    why not do it? Do the marketing to convince players that it is worth the money, and let the product speak for itself. Making something the best it can be is a worthwhile endeavor.

14. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I'd certainly buy one, I'm sure many others would too. I'm constantly looking for a vintage SVT in the condition that K.O.A.'s is in (King Of Amps, please post a picture of yours, it's beautiful :) ) but I haven't seen anything even close to it. Hopefully SLM will decide to put out a 'Special Edition Vintage Re-issue' model.

SLM: Please, give it a try!!! :hyper:

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ever try calling Ampeg and offering them the money to have them make you a special one?

Why not have someone copy the schematic and build it for you?

16. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ummmmmmmm, just asking
    ever hear of aguilar? :p

17. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i asked around about this a while ago and no one here knew of any boutique svt knock off companies
    my guitar player has a victoria bassman and a couple of blockhead plexis - in both cases, probably blockhead more so the amps were modeled after the "best of the best" of the vintage amps
    it seems that someone should be making good copies of some of the "best of the best" of the vintage svt's
    and quite frankly, the idea that bass players dont want to spend a lot for their amps and are willing to put savings before tone is pure crap................................... :rolleyes:

18. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I can't remember the model number of Aguilar's all-tube amp(sorry!), but I'd love to play through one. It looks very interesting.

I've never seen one in my area, the brands on the market here are very limited.

19. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the aggie tube poweramp is the db-728 (i think)
    it's a different animal than ampeg - demeter makes a nice one too
    i think a couple of things make the tube poweramp less popular on bass than guitar
    the weight and size is more of an issue than cost, a blockhead amp with 4 el-34s in it is just a bit different than a 4 space agilar with 8 6550s, AND a preamp, AND a rack to put it in, etc......
    Joker brought up an excellent point in another thread that a lot of times the solid state poweramp sound is a lot tighter for bass (i certainly dont think spending a grand on a good poweramp and close to that on a good preamp and whatever on a rack is exactly cheap.....)
    I'd still love to see a vintage SVT clone, the new ones are nice, but King was right when he said they don't quite get it

20. Well said. This is an opinion that I also share.