1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beware of Ebay shill bidding

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by troy mcclure, Jun 12, 2014.

1. I was buying a fairly mundane replacement part for a Fender Jazz Bass on ebay from the seller who dismantles Fenders and parts them out... ebayers will know the guy strat in the user name.
    I noticed when the bidding ended, the guy who bid me up did 92% off his last 200 bids with this seller in 30 days. I would venture to guess that is a shill. As always with Ebay bid the max of what you want to pay for an item and walk away if you lose the auction.

2. tkonbass

tkonbass I'm just one of the out-of-focus guys. Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Mobile, Alabama, USA
    Pentatonic likes this.
  3. I reported it... I just know a lot of TB guys buy parts from this guy via the bay.

4. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    yea, just report it, Ebay will bust him.

5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    It's pretty common among sellers who part stuff out. We get a lot of it in r/c car parts sellers parting out kits, especially on the high demand parts.

6. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN

Yep, shill bidders are a constant on eBay, especially on the part out guys.

7. Venomouscontrol

Venomouscontrol

Sep 22, 2012
    stratosphere? Crap seller.

8. Once I wanted something, it was at $30, I put in a bid at $60. Somebody got in and ran it all the way up to $62 one bid after another, then backed out leaving me with paying $60. I refused and wrote ebay and told them this was purposeful price manipulation and told them I would only pay for my last bid before this shill ran the price up. They agreed. The seller was less than pleased but it was his own fault.

9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    You can still deal with the part out sellers without worry, just only look at their "buy it now" offerings. No bidding and the prices are usually decent. I've bought from the stratosphere but only "buy it now" stuff.

10. MothBox

MothBox

Oct 25, 2010
    Has happened to me with a few pedals lately. Minutes before the auction ends someone comes in, bids it up to near the Buy It Now price and stops.

Like Jokerone said above Ive also put in low bids, then someones bid it up last minute and outbid me. Literally minutes after the auction ends I get a second chance offer.

All prices Im happy to pay for the pedals in question but it really F**KS me off that some sellers do this. If you wont sell below a certain value set a reserve at that value.

11. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Whenever I bid on anything on fleabay, I bid once. That's the price I'll pay. That's it. No problems.

vmabus likes this.
  12. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    Me too only way to safeguard yourself.

13. I am always surprised people buy from that dude, rip off prices. He also has some weird basses he parts out, like parting out a starcaster? why would you it would be hard to sell a neck or a body etc. He just does strange stuff.

14. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Nothing new. Just avoid that seller in the future.

15. I tried to buy a hand made Cajun accordion on Feebay. It was a real beauty and I was the high bidder until 5 seconds before the bidding ended and in an instant the bid jumped to near the buy now price. A friend warned about these robo bidders and he was right. Now if there is no buy now price, I won't even consider the item. I won't bid on anything again. Not worth the aggravation. :):cool::bassist:

16. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yes, bid once when there are 2 or 3 seconds left in the auction and be done. Why wait until the last second? You're more likely to win, and if you do win, you're more likely to pay less. Not everyone is good at the bid once and walk away concept. They'll put a bid in, and when someone beats them, they'll decide the really want the item and bid more. If you don't give them a chance to put in another bid after yours, they can't drive up the price without winning, or outbid you.

17. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    The only way I buy on ebay is BIN or snipe the item in the last 10 seconds. You gotta play the game over there.

tkonbass likes this.
  18. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I have put in several "losing" bids, only to win. I got a Ric for relatively cheap that way. Beats me how it slipped through the cracks, but it did. I recently got outbid by something like $10 for something else, but that was OK with me. The price hit my limit, and that was that. I suspect somebody else put in a higher overall bid sometime after my initial bid, and that person got it for less than their maximum price. Maybe, maybe not, but if it was a shill bid, then the seller got to keep it.

19. MarkWtbyCT

MarkWtbyCT

Jan 9, 2013
    Connecticut
    I have purchased quite a lot of items from stratosphere, never any problems!