1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bi Amplification

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lineboss58, Mar 28, 2013.

1. lineboss58

lineboss58

Oct 26, 2007
    Used my bi amped rig for the first time last night, it was at an open gig so a number of bassist got to use it. Everyone commented on the tone and balance of the sound, down side is the set up time and sheer bulk. I have read a number of forums where players have tried such a rig and found it lacking, for a varying reasons. Funny thing was watching another player, i leaned against a wall and the rig was vibrating the wall. Its not a large set up just very efficient, unfortunately age is against me so lugging it around is not practical.

2. Short on detail there Captain.

3. The most common problem with bi-amp rigs is incorrect setup.

I use a Rane active crossover with various preamps, and a QSC PLX power amp.
    Each channel has a separate gain control so you can set the balance.

Spend some time with an RTA to dial in what you want.
    I go for Flat first, then mark the dials with console tape.
    The bass and preamp controls "tone".

This changes with different speaker loads, so more setup is required.
    Yes, there is a lot of fiddling around.
    For indoor bars and parties, it is much easier to haul a micro head and modest cab.

4. lineboss58

lineboss58

Oct 26, 2007
    Ok details didnt want to get sighted for advertising, ampeg bsp pre amp. Bss compressor limiter, bss analogue crossover at 150hz at 24db per oct, qsc plx at 700 watts per channel. Speakers !x15 hartke with a 500 watt eminence, generic 1x12 with a 150 watt eminence fitted. The crossover has a subsonic filter to cut out signal below 30hz, use full in conserving amp power. The qsc was used with its clip limiters turned on, i was watching the output display and both channels run at half all night.

5. If your compressor limiter is stereo you can probably configure it threeway for a more efficient highpass on the 115 by putting it on the "mids" output.

6. lineboss58

lineboss58

Oct 26, 2007
    Your right the compressor is stereo, im lucky enough to have lots of gear. The crossover is a stereo switchable mono unit. So in theory i could have a four way system, but that's getting silly. The power amp i used that night can be run at 3.4k, but that's way to much power. The whole idea was to produce a clean quality tone, not how many watts can i crank out. In general that was achieved, i loved it but my back was not as enthusiastic.