1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Biamping, help with stingray weak g string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hambone1, May 1, 2009.

1. hambone1

hambone1

Sep 13, 2006
    Does anyone think or know if biamping could help with the weaker g string on a stingray?

I have a GK 1001 rbII amp that has a tweeter boost i.e biamp capability.

I am planning on getting a stingray but got concerned about the possible weak string.

Thanks.

2. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    Nope. Won't help. The weak output can be somewhat compensated for with creative eq'ing, but Bi-amping a weak signal won't help you increase it's perceived output, it will simply allow high content sounds to be amplified more efficiently than low content sound.

3. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    maybe a compressor, or raising the pickup in in with the bottom screw, lowering the string, or finally, getting a better bass, lol

4. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    +1 to the above answers. Biamping won't help you.

Do a search on this topic and I think you should find some pretty helpful solutions. Most people are able to raise the pickup closer to the strings on the treble side, and lower it on the bass side, and compensate for the problem. Others have to replace their pickup.

villis likes this.
  5. hambone1

hambone1

Sep 13, 2006
    I am just really confused on why raising the pickup under the treble side would not help. Some people say it works others say it doesnt. Opinions are opinions but the last stingay I played sounded fine to me. and the pickup was just tilted slightly under the treble side.

villis likes this.
  6. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    its not THAT bad of a problem..

if ur playing music that requires alot of upper string work then a stingray probably wasnt for u to begin with to be honest..

7. fourstring44

fourstring44 In Memoriam

Jul 22, 2003
    St. Louis
    Well I don't consider "upper string work" as using the G string. It is a real problem and it is "THAT' bad and worse. I've had 4 'Rays and 3 of them suffered from this condition. All of them were sold pretty quick. The one that didn't suffer from this condition was heavy and I soon tired of that as well. Raising the treble side of the PU does help in varying degrees, as well as string choice and EQ. But in the end the problem still exists and must be tolerated. A PU change might very well be the way to go, if you don't mind adding to the cost of the bass? They are great sounding basses, but I sort of like using the G string now and again:smug:

8. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I really wish GK would have called their HMS something other than biamping.

9. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    Some Rays have this issue, some don't. I have one that is pretty consistent in output from top to bottom.

Raising the pickup on the treble side WILL help, as well as lowering it on the bass side to help even out the volume.

The other thing that works is using heavier guage strings on the G and D. D'Addario sells their XL nickel roundwounds in a 50-70-85-105 set and you definitely seem to get more oomph out of those than a 45/65 G & D string.

10. villis

villis

Mar 20, 2012
    Greece (Xanthi)
    i have not this problem with my sr 5 1989! and i have the pup in the g string in the same height with b when i measure the distance between pup and string holding the string in 12 fret down! 10624912_10202604643906428_6154450419832048593_n.