Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

big big muffs

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by infamousxtopher, Apr 26, 2005.

1. well i have a russian big muff and while i like to use it on occassion, the size of it seems suc ha huge waste on my pedal board. i haven't cracked it open yet to see the size of the board but i'm jsut wonderfing if anyoen has stuffed big muff electronics in a smaller case. becasue that would be ingenious

-topher

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The board is pretty small, though a somewhat odd shape. Many complain about the size of the Muff, but few do anything about it after realizing that it's the price you pay for that wonderful fuzz.

3. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    And the muff isn't the biggest EH effect !!

4. eh i just like complaining, is there any place where i could buy a smaller case though? i'd love to give this a shot.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nothing you're going to readilly find, it'll cost you much more financially and hassle wise than its worth.

6. goodbye dreams of a little muff

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you want a Little Muff, check out the Little Big Muff:

[​IMG]

Only problem is loss of control options.

8. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Did you factor in the fact that you don't need any clearance on the sides of the pedal?

I have 3 EHX Pedals, now (Hot Tubes, Big Muff, BassBalls) and I love the fact that I can butt them up against each other. You still need clearance at the "top" of the pedal, but I've yet to see a Boss/Digitech/DOD, etc. that didn't require clearance at the top if you run AC.

With the size of the PCB on the inside of the Big Muff, you'd still need a case the size of a MXR 100 phasor. Plus you'd still have to drill and mount the jacks and knobs, mount the PCB internally, and make sure grounding was proper.

The upsides of the larger case is larger knobs. With my BOSS pedals, I have to get low to make sure everything is set right, especially on a dark stage. With the "chicken-head" knobs of my Muff and BassBalls, I can see it and even adjust it with my foot on the fly.

The Muff is also still smaller than most Boutique pedals that I have run accross. And honestly *L* it sounds as good at 1/4-1/6 the cost!!!

9. http://www.fxdoctor.com/

the dude deffo does re-housing...cheap too...he says he does a lot of EHX rehousings...ive never used him, but worth a shot

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Only problem is he's not accepting any orders for a while. Does good work though.

11. thanks a lot guys. bassman i did think about that a bit but its my only ehs pedal so unless i wanted to turn all my other pedals sideways it woudln't work so well :) thanks for the link!

12. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    I remember seeing some guy's review on Harmony Central where he'd got Dave "Loooper" Boggs to build him a smaller housing for it.

13. yeah but, if you take the electronics and cram it into a small package, then it just wouldnt be a BIG muff would it! youd call it something like an "Electro-Harmonix Moderately Sized Muff"

14. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    LOL !!!

I went to my elec store today. There was a lot of metal boxes that could be perfect for such a mod. It would be quite easy, if you really want to do this, do it !

By the way, you should be happy you use the muff and not the memory man, the qtron or the synth... They really are big, way bigger than the muff !! It's pretty funny to see on the pedalboards a lot of little Boss pedals and just a big EH that takes as much place as all the boss together !! :)

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Installing the electronics in a smaller package is easy. Just have to find a good solid box that fits everything. I have been trying to find a good box to put my mini dano in a proper box. I just have to find a good momentary switch that is panel mount. Unfortunately I am not really experienced with making this type of pedal true bypass.

16. the moderatly sized muff haha. well i think i'm going to continue with this venture and see if i can cram this into a smaller box in the next couple weeks (finals coming up i'm going crazy) and i think i will in fact name it the moderatly size muff.

17. murdermilk

murdermilk

Feb 5, 2004
    Is that a muff fuzz (half a double fuzz) circuit with switchable tone? Because depending on how the gain is voiced, that would be incredable for pushing a tube amp.

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think so. The only pedals in the Muff series over the years I haven't owned are the Little Big Muff or the Deluxe Big Muff...yet ;)

19. murdermilk

murdermilk

Feb 5, 2004
    I heard nice things from a friend about the compressor in the deluxe, but I never got a chance to play on it.