Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big Block 750...Underpowered?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by greendayjustin, Jul 17, 2005.

1. I'm considering buying this amp, but couldnt help realized that it seems a little bit underpowered. The Mesa site says this amp to be 550 watts and 4 ohms and 280 watts at 8 ohms. By the looks of this it seems like it may be barely keeping up powering just a 4x10. An 8x10 seems out of the question. Are Mesa amps "louder" per watt than most other? Whats going on!? :cool:

2. Mesa is well-known for rating their amps very conservatively. I've read reviews that say the M-Pulse 600 can easily keep up with an SWR SM900; Genz Benz is also very conservative. So, in a word, yes, 280 "Mesa Watts" are probably louder than 280 Watts from, say, Ampeg or SWR. I've played the Big Block through a Mesa 1x15''; it was LOUD. If an 8x10'' is out of the question, you might want to try looking into a 6x10'' like the Bergantino NV610; rumour has it it'll clean any 8x10'''s clock :D That way, at least you'll be running 550 W into a 4 Ohm load. And you can always add another 8 or 4 Ohm cab later.

Peace!

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Through a Mesa 410, it's damn loud.

Through a Mesa 410 + 15 (only 4ohm load remember) it's VERY damn loud.

4. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Don't let the ratings bother you, that amp is louder than most of the competition.

5. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    +1 to all thats been said so far.

Look at the Mesa M-Pulse 600. People are CRAZY about that head a lot of the time. And the Mesa Walkabout head (300W) sounds like its double the power, according to some.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    what sort of guitar competition will you be facing? if you're up against two marshall stacks, then a pair of 8x10's, 4 ohms each, which brings the impedence to 2 ohms is the ticket to go. lots of air moving speaker area, and the most possible power from your amp.

if not, IMHO, a simple 4 ohm 4x10 should suffice.

7. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    I've run mine with a single 8 ohm speaker and it was quite loud. Then, I ran it with one 4 ohm Ampeg 410 HLF, and it was even louder, with the master up at about 12 o'clock in a fairly loud band rehearsal. Then, with two of those cabinets giving a 2 ohm load in a very loud band rehearsal, the volume was overwhelming...teeth-rattling, actually. All with good tone and no clipping at all; what a great amp.

8. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus

Why not a pair of 4ohm 410's? :p

9. I found the 600 MUCH louder into an 8 or 4ohm load than the big block. Unless you really are into the distortion capabilities of the Big Block, I'd try to pony up the extra cash for the MPulse600. It's much more versatile, has a compressor, and can give you some additional 'modern' tones versus the tube grind of the Big Block. Be warned... it really does sound like a tube head... which is a good thing if you like the sound of tube heads!

10. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus

The 600 is more expensive over there? Over here the BB750 is a few hundred more if I remember correctly.

I would agree though. The tone of both is just amazing. The 750 is beafier/more ballsy but the 600 is very versatile.

The 750's distortion though is amazing IMO. It just sounds killer. Although I heard it was based on the tube stompbox they have? Any truth behind that?

11. The 600 was about $200 more than the Big Block a while ago when I played and priced both. At that time (about 18 months ago), the Big Block selling price was around $1,150 and the MPulse600 was around $1,350. They might have changed pricing.

I agree with your comments... ballsy (750) vs. versatile (600). I wish I liked the 'tube' sound more... I really like the Mesa quality (metal switches, great feeling pots, etc. etc.), and they do get loud! I found even the 600 lacking the quick response and punch that I get with a good transistor head like the Thunderfunk, or even a more 'transistor' sounding hybrid like the Eden line.

12. Except for in the case of the 400+ that they claim is 500watt rms which it isnt, still helluva loud tho :bassist:

13. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    +1 .......

I owned a M-Pulse 600 for a while and I can certainly verify that it was one very loud head. It certainly has some nice features also (foot switchable compressor, Parametric EQ, gain....). I haven't played through the Big Block 750 but it seems more plug and play than the M-Pulse 600. A TB'er friend in Atlanta a/b'd both heads this weekend and went with the Big Block over the M-Pulse. He claimed that he could get great sounds easier/quicker on the Big block. He also stated they were both very loud! Maybe he'll chime in and give us a first hand review. How 'bout it "Beardman"?

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    lol,

errr, yea, i meant to imply that... :p

15. Actually, they rate it as 500 W transient power, which means peak power. RMS is somewhere around 265 W for the 400+.

Peace!

16. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Just an FYI, there have been a few Big Blocks here on TB that fried while under a 2 ohm load. That being said, I would shy away from running them at 2 ohm load if possible...

17. Jbyjnkx57

Jbyjnkx57

Jan 24, 2011
    Adrian Mi 49221
    What about running 2 4ohm PH410s with the big block? Good call or bad call? That and good competition with two ampeg 410s and a CL?