Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big Muff question...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Indigo, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Indigo

Indigo

Feb 19, 2004
    Örebro, Sweden
    Hey!

A couple of minutes ago, I got the chance to try out a Big Muff Pi, that a guy had. I loved it! When I switched the effects loop on the amp to parallell, what a sound! Now, I want one =)

My question now is...what´s the difference between the Big Muff made in Russia and the one made in USA? The one I tried was a russian made one.

Thanks!

/Jonatan Tjäder

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    paging tplyons... paging tplyons...

he's our resident big muff prosletyzer.

Actually, this has been discussed a bunch of times here so if you do a search you'll find plenty of bug muff talk including differences b/w the two.

3. bboy

bboy

Feb 23, 2004
  4. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Hey tplyons, where are you, man?

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    [standard copy and paste Big Muff explination]

I've answered this many times and somewhere is the GREATEST Big Muff breakdown ever, but I can't find it, so I'll try again:

There are four variations:
    *Sovtek Green (Huge, discontinued)
    *Sovtek Black (Smaller, current)
    *NYC Reissue (Reissue of the original)
    *NYC Original (The original EHX Fuzz)

I can't vouch for the sound differences between the original NYC Big Muff and the reissue, but my weapon of choice is a modded NYC RI BMP, the blue light special. The Sovteks are obviously imported from Russia, but that doesn't mean they're bad; they're different. The Ruskies tend to be a little colder sounding as they're made with different parts, the interior work isn't as clean and they don't come with a power adapter, but everything can be fixed.

The American's tend to be a little warmer sounding as they're made with quality parts. The case is a tad more flexible under weight, but they hold up for years. I recently came across a 1977 BMP that was still rockin' hard after 26 years. Though it was after my Blue Light conversion so I couldn't A/B the tones.

The difference, as far as I know between the Green and Black Sovteks is the case. The Green one was massive and the black one is smaller, both are sturdy and contain the same circuit.

But when looking for a Muff, they tend to vary a bit in tone from model to model, some warmer, some crispier than others. I suggest you try each before buying.

[/standard copy and paste Big Muff explination]

Try a search next time.

6. Maybe this is just leftover from my guitar playing days, but don't you generally want a distortion unit at the start of the signal chain rather than in the FX loop?

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That's how I use it, always have. Hotter signal going in, better tone for me :)

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Should we get an effects faq together?

Have this and answers to the usual questions such as:

What is the best pedal for xxx?
    Difference between distortion/fuzz/overdrive
    Online retailers
    Manufacturer sites

I'm willing to do some work on this

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I was just thinking this actually... PM me with your ideas.

10. Indigo

Indigo

Feb 19, 2004
    Örebro, Sweden
    I use phantom power on my EBS amplifier, so I have no choice than to have it in the effects loop. And otherwise, I couldn´t have blended the dry and wet signals anyways...

/Jonatan

11. I just got a Big Muff Pi Russian last week from ebay.de and I quite love this pedal... it's a nasty fuzz sound but it keeps all the low-end to my ears and that's quite good! :)

I used to have a RAT... but that one sucked out so much low-end :(

12. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    "I used to have a RAT... but that one sucked out so much low-end"

If I remember right, there's a mod you can do to make the Rat more suitable for bass, but I don't know any details.

I've got one as well, and have similar lack of low-end with it; my guitarist tends to use it more, so it's pretty much on permanent loan to him (along with my Roger Mayer Voodoo Bass, my EH Clone Theory and my~ hey - maybe he should use his own pedals :oops: )

13. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Kind of off topic, but my guitar player has green Big Muff. In bybass it kills his tone, is this common? Did the same to my bass when I tried it, just sounds like ass when not engaged.

14. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    Yeah, the green ones weren't true bypass, so they'll colour your tone (or make it sound like ass :D) when off. I don't think the black Russian ones are true bypass either (but I've not checked mine) but the newer US reissues are, AFAIK.

The black ones are probably moddable with a new switch for true bypass, but I don't imagine it'd be easy to find a suitable replacement for the massive switches they used on the green ones.

I've got green and black Small Stones (I should see a doctor... ), and if I've got the colour switch up, I can hear them swooshing away when off. I've got a Loooper ( http://www.loooper.com/ ) on the way, so my effects bypassing problems will soon be over.