Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bill Lawrence j-45/aguilar obp-3???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by funkedupbass, Jun 8, 2005.

1. I was wondering if anybody has tried/has the Bill Lawrence J-45 pickups with the aguilar obp-3 preamp and how it sounds? Everyone seems to like the obp-3 pre w/the bartolini 9's (I think). I'm not sure If I'd go for the bart pre though; it seems to have the high highs that I'm not so eager for.
    any input appreciated,
    thanks,
    -eric
    funkedupbass@gmail.com
    oh and this is a mohagany bass in case it matters.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Lately I've been hearing about the top on the Bart being an issue. Seems to me roughly a year ago it was the Aggie had a harsh top. Not going to bother with a search cause I've wired them both as outboards and ran them through the same bass and same rigging to the same music in the same place and drawn my own conclusions. Given the myriad of other variables affecting tone, I don't see how a player could draw a conclusion with any accuracy or merit otherwise. An NTMB or an OBP-3 in a bass with different acoustic properties, different pups, different pots, different strings ran through different rigging played to different music in a different place with different instruments ...... is going to sound different.

Personally, when it came right down to it, I couldn't tell one from another. I don't recall hearing any significant variation in their curves. However there is no doubt, that the bass and mid frequencies employed for a given tone will affect how the treble range sounds. So if there's a different frequency mix selected in the bass and mid range on the NTMB and OBP-3, the top would likely sound different even if it's set to similar treble frequency.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128756&highlight=experiment

Personally, I would select one over the other bassed on factors having nothing to do with tone which I've found to be more critical - available space being number one. There's simply no room in many control bays for an NTMB - esp as 18v