Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Billy Gould Equipment, bass and effects... help me

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by xminduimx, Jul 12, 2005.

1. xminduimx

xminduimx

Jul 12, 2005
    Please i can't find this information.. help me
    THANKS

2. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    You want the "Search this Forum" thingy up toward the top.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    he used to have an old school gibson grabber. that was replaced by his aria integra bassess. which were then replaced by his mainstay zon basses. which he still uses today. far as i know he has always used peavey gear for amps and cabs. im sure hes used just about everything theyve ever made. at one point he had a dod bass flanger and a tube screamer. later he went to the psa-1 by sans amp. he played with both a plec and his fingers.

5. countshockula

countshockula

Feb 22, 2008
    Just watched Coachella footage. Looks like Zon bass, Peavey heads and Ampeg 8x10s. Who knows though

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Billy got my shop backstage passes to their show at the Warfield last week. My boss asked Billy about his tone, and Billy said this:

"Fulltone Bass Drive. I can play through ANY rig and have my tone. My entire setup varies except for that pedal."

For the record, Billy used his one Zon bass, an Ampeg 8x10, and a Genz-Benz head (which looked like it was set flat), and the Fulltone sitting on top of one of the cabs. He didn't turn the pedal off once the whole set.

7. Might we have the key there to his amazing sound? :hyper:
    A Fulltone's got to be much cheaper than buying a Zon...

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Well, I'm sure the Zon helps.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    genz benz...of course! ya, it looked like he was using genz benz heads at coachella into two 810e. wasn't sure at first, but now i am since you guys mentioned it.

10. Addison

Addison This time, I didn't forget the gravy. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Bismarck, ND
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Manager - Zon Guitars
    I remember reading an interview years ago about his love affair with Peavey amps...

I'm assuming it was before he ever got an endorsement deal... but to paraphrase, it was something like, "The reason why I love Peavey cabs so much is not because they're good, necessarily... it's because when you drive them really hard the speakers break up and give a natural distortion and punch you cannot get with better cabs. Hi-end cabs are designed to take lots of volume and keep their clarity... Peavey cabs can't handle being driven that hard, but that's why I like them."

Anyway... I think BG is one of the most underrated bassists EVER. Definitely in my top 5 of all time.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    apparently he's over it ;)

12. Addison

Sep 17, 2009
    Bismarck, ND
    lol... yeah, well, these days, he probably plays whatever is free or is available for rent on the road... I'd wager that the only things that he uses that are "his" are the bass(es) and that pedal that was mentioned.

Take this ad for example:

There's an example of one company claiming BG uses their stuff, yet I haven't seen a picture with him using Road Rage cabs once... and I'm a total FNM nutswinger who looks at a ton of their pics.

So, really... who knows what the heck he's using??

:D

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    the way the two heads were all neatly racked into one unit with a handful of other stuff i couldn't make out tells me that was his gear. if it was rented it would have been racked differently.

why is it so hard for some people to believe that others actually like ampeg stuff? the dude can play anything he wants. just because you may not like it doesn't mean everyone shouldn't like it.

14. Addison

Sep 17, 2009
    Bismarck, ND
    I'm trying to figure out where I said I didn't like Ampeg stuff.

:confused:

It's all speculation at this point, so for anyone to claim to know what is or isn't the case is pointless.

Why so defensive?

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    sorry man...but that seems to be a recurring theme on here with people who don't like ampeg...the usual "we're all sheep and we're only using it because rock stars use it," "we're only using it because we don't know any better and we never heard (insert favorite cab name here)," "we're only using it because it's rented backline and we'd all rather play something else," all that crap and nonsense. so yeah, i get a little defensive about it when someone says something about rented backline.

but having much experience with rented backline, i can tell you that backline companies who have anything other than ampeg, hartke, gk, swr, or eden are rare. even genz benz, aguilar, and markbass are rarities despite being great sellers.

16. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    He used a Jazz for Evidence.

Waht a bassist though! How on Earth is he hardly ever mentioned around here? Woodpecker From Mars is a masterpiece, and all of Angel Dust is mind blowing.

17. I just got my ticket for Philly July 3 and I am also seeing them in Brooklyn on July 5. I can't wait to see them.

18. Idiot Savon

Idiot Savon Tall, Dark, Handsome, etc., etc.

Jun 22, 2009
    New Haven, CT
    If you can't buy a Zon or Modulus, track down a Peavey G-Bass. Graphite neck, 35" scale (even on the 4!), and an 18-volt active circuit. It's vanilla, sure, but if you want a nice, clean signal to dirty up on your way to the input jack, it can sound pretty close to Billy's.
    And yeah, I just got my tickets for Brooklyn on 7/5!

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    btw, they were great at coachella. their opening song makes the whole show. i do miss jim martin, though. he's a human dynamo. the new guy's good but jim was the man.

20. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    The Download 2009 Fest in Britain he was equipped with a Zon 4 and 5, 4xPeavey 410 cabs, 2 Peavey heads and a Sansamp PSA-1 (didn't think it was the RBI or RPM b/c it was silver). Sounded amazing.

IMO a lot of that is the Zon, as much as he says it's the Fulltone. From a heavy graphite-necked instrument user, I could easily cop that tone with just about anything from Mod or Zon. Just has that "snap" and "attack" to it. Awesome. :bassist::bassist: