1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Billy Gould

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Weyngott, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Weyngott

Weyngott

Oct 27, 2006
    With a Faith No More reunion comng up I like to discuss him with you guys. In my opinion, just simply amazing. I personally like how he plays, especially because I can recognize my own style in the way he plays.

I will be sure to check out a show if they get close.:)

2. I loved The Real Thing when that came out- I think it really made having keys be a big part of a rock band sound.

Never got too much more into FNM beyond that record.

I loved Billy Gould's playing on there.

3. Weyngott

Weyngott

Oct 27, 2006
    The Real Thing is one of my favourites as well, but in my opinion the absolute best one was Angel Dust. It's true what you say about keys.

4. mr_mofong0

mr_mofong0

Mar 20, 2009
    He always had something original and interesting to contribute to the song. Between his playing, and the presence of the keys, FNM showed that rock/metal didn't have to be ALL ABOUT GUITAR (even tho Jim Martin was tops).

5. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    Then, my friend, you missed most of the best stuff:D! Seriously, The Real Thing was probably their biggest commercial success, but I submit that they got better with each album. That band's got too much talent, and I'm glad they're back:hyper:

6. bryanonbass

bryanonbass

May 13, 2001
    Northern NJ
    although I think Angel Dust was best record with Jim, I think there absolute best record was King for a Day with the guitar player from Mr. Bungle. Just amazing song writing and playing on that record.

7. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    WE CARE ALOT!

8. RONQUITO

RONQUITO

Dec 27, 2007
    Be sure to check out "Evidence" on the "King for a day..."

album, it redefined fat tone and superb taste in a bass context for me...

Billy G. is a badass.

9. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I wonder if that reunion would be happening if the Discovery Channel hadn't grabbed We Care A Lot for the Dirty Jobs theme song....

10. Same with me. So many good songs on King For a Day. A few years ago when I would play Tony Hawk's American Wasteland on XBox and customize my own soundtracks, I found King For A Day to be the perfect album to accompany that game.

My ranking of Faith No More albums:
    KFAD
    Angel Dust
    Album of The Year
    The Real Thing

I'm not a big fan of their earliest stuff, Chuck's voice I don't like.

11. See, I thought Angel Dust was incredible, one of my all time favourite records...but I found KFAD to be as flat as a fart! The great tunes and catchy melodies had just drived right up! Where was the sunny, bright rock? Where had my beloved FNM gone?

12. they changed like good versatile artists do. if they just re wrote the real thing over and over they would have sucked.

billy is one of my favorite bass players ever. his writing playing tone producing everything.

when i was 17 i bought Angel Dust on a whim cuz I heard from a guy that it was awesome. I put it on to have some background music to accompany my homework doings and as soon as the Land of Sunshine bassline dropped I stopped and stared at the cd player and listened about 10 times over. Five years later I still can't stop listening to it.

My favorite bass line of his is on the song King For a Day.

end transmission.

13. Weyngott

Weyngott

Oct 27, 2006
    Yeah, Land of Sunshine is awesome, my favourite song might be A Small Victory and I also really dig RV!

14. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Billy's been one of my favorite players for quite some time and after getting a bit more into Black Sabbath a while ago, I realized that he must be a pretty huge Geezer Butler fan, many of his busier lines in their more rock/metal-ish songs remind me of Geezer's playing. He definitely picked the right player to look up to, Geezer is the man. I'm pretty shocked that this took me so long to realize which is mainly because I used to dismiss Black Sabbath because I was only familiar with "Paranoid" (the song) which never really did it for me.

15. i noticed that too. they both have fairly agressive right hands and can be super busy yet not dumb about it. they are both super expressive players.:bassist:

16. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    Ireland
    watching the live stream from donnington now, billys zon sounds lovely.

17. Alembic83

Alembic83 Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Salem, Oregon
    Good Lord, Billy's bass tone was IMMENSE at Download! He was amazing! He added a few nuances to the songs, as did the other guys...What a stellar performance!