Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Billy Sheehan???

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Gregory, Nov 6, 2003.

1. What band does this guy play in? (sorry if this is common knowledge, i know nothing about rock). I just downloaded a video clip of him soloing and its TIGHT!

2. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Talas, Mr. Big, and Niacin are three bands i know he is/was a member of. You can also hear him(kinda) on live tracks (like Incantation) with Steve Vai from a couple G3s.

3. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    david lee roth - shy boy
    mr big - addicted to that rush
    talas - high speed on ice
    niacin
    rush tribute

4. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Billy Sheehan started out with a group called Talas playing the local bar scene in Buffalo NY.
    back in the 80's. They got to open a Van Halen show, and that is where David Lee Roth, when
    Roth left Van Halen he wanted to put together
    the best band he could so he recruited Steve Vai
    to play Guitar and Billy to play Bass.They recorded a few albums together,Crazy from the heat
    Eat em & smile and Skyscraper. There is also
    a CD called Billy Sheehan the Talas years. Then
    in around 1988 Billy started a new group called
    Mr.Big, they released Mr.Big, then the follow up
    was Lean into it, and another recording a few years later called Hey Man, and another one I can not remember the name of. They had a #1 single
    with a song called "To be with you". He then started working with Dennis Chambers in a group
    called Niacin, it was a fusion project, they
    have released a few albums, I dont have any of those so I dont know the names. He also has 2
    instructional videos out and is getting ready to
    re-release them on DVD along with a new video. There is also a video out there from Bass day 97
    that is pretty good.Check out his web site.He
    has done some G3 tours the last few years with
    Vai, Malsteen.

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Don't forget his solo album, "Compression". Excellent disc!!

6. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I forgot about that one. My favorite's are the
    first Mr.Big release and the second one "Lean into it". we used to do Daddy Brother little boy
    (electric drill song) I bought a makita and made
    the pick holder out of wooden dowel with one of those big Triangle picks screwed into the end.
    Ahhhhh!!!! the good ol days.I still have the makita but it is for around the house projects
    AND I still have the picks. Hmmmmmm?

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That would be Bump Ahead. Excellent album. Billy does some cool walking lines on the opening track. It also has a cover of the Free tune they took their name from.

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    He's the bassist on the prog metal project "Explorer's Club - Age Of Impact". Nothing you must hear, though.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  10. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Still, I liked what he contributed...

11. I just saw G3 on Friday, and Sheehan was amazing. Steve Vai's set was incredible, probably the highlight of the show, and Sheehan definitely wsa one of the reasons why. I'm definitely going to check out some more of his stuff. I wasn't such a fan of the leather pants and heels though... :D

12. Viktor

Viktor

Jun 21, 2003
    Split,Croatia
    Mr.Big....man I didn't know that!!!!!

13. Viktor

Viktor

Jun 21, 2003
    Split,Croatia
    Here's a question!I have a CD of G3 with Stu Hamm!!!!Does Billy play the same bass lines as Stu???

14. Stu Hamm was Joe Satriani's bass player. I don't think he played with Vai on G3, did he? Sheehan is Vai's bass player on this tour.

15. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I saw another post in one of the threads that said
    Stu was not on this tour. But he had done some
    of the others.:)

16. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Quote from LiquidMidnight:That would be Bump Ahead. Excellent album. Billy does some cool walking lines on the opening track. It also has a cover of the Free tune they took their name from.

Thanx for reminding me, I listened to that one last night. That is a great Album/Disc.
    :)