Billy Sheehan's sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by spidersbass, Jan 25, 2005.

1. spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
  2. spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    on a related note (although not in the right forum), how can you make the bass scream like that?
  3. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    I cant really help you with your question. but to give you an idea... then click on Gear.

also, Ampeg makes the Billy Sheehan Preamp. you might give one of those a try for the overdrive/distortion sounds.

even if i had all his gear...there is no way i could do what he does.
  4. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Hey man. I used to own his entire setup, including amped svt-4 pro, pearce preamp, ampeg 8x10 and I own two of his basses ( red one and a blue one, both autographed by him in syracuse ny last year). I know how to get his sound. You don't need all that. You can get it with a p bass with dimarzio model p pickups or one of the limited attitude basses. I use a boss lmb-3 for compression and voodoo labs sparkle overdrive pedal for distortion ( you can mix your clean sound with the overdriven sound) The mxr m-80 also works well but I prefer to use the sparkle overdrive. This will give you his gritty tone which he uses most of the time. For his crazy full on distorted sound, a boss metal zone will come close. Beware, the metal zone will suck the low end out of your sound, even when disengaged! Put it in an effects loop , I use the boss effects loop pedal for this. I used to own the billy sheehan preamp and found the these pedals to do just as good of a job and they are more versatile. One last thing, use plenty of upper mids in your sound. Good luck. This advice will save you the tons of money i have spend to arrive at his sound. Chris
  5. mwlaurenson

mwlaurenson Guest

Feb 5, 2001

I looks like he's playing pinched harmonics which with his overdriven tone makes that scary squealing sound.
  6. spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    thanks everyone... now its time to look for a job so i can buy all this crap
    Ebi likes this.
  7. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Isn't that the video where he's using a crate guitar rig anyways? :)

8. Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    it sure seems that way, he keeps fiddling with it and just hitting open strings overtop of the other guys's playing, he's kinda annoying in this video :D but he still rips it up. kringle77, that was awsome advice, I might look into some of that!
  9. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Finally got around to watching that clip... very cool, thanks for the link.

Anyone else notice that Billy Sheehan's solo had pretty much nothing in common with the song that everybody else was playing? Victor (both of 'em), Oteil, Bill, Steve are all groovin' over the (same) changes to Happy Birthday, and Billy's solo was in a different key, with no attention to the changes or the meter. Pretty much a musical non-sequitur.

That said... I like his playing in general ... just not so much here. He showed some cool ideas that I for one would like/love to incorporate into my own playing... but... that particular solo was not as much music as it was gymnastics.
  10. rDuM

May 6, 2004
    i think his solo bass stuff is awesome, but i cant stand his band work

i actually dont mind this video though, i agree that it doesnt fit in with wooten and the lark, but i love his tone
  11. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    ok, help me out here. i dont know most of these guys by sight. who was playing the Ying Yang Fodera? Sheehan is the only one i recognized.
  12. rDuM

May 6, 2004
    ying yang fodera is victor wootens i think......its a famous bass anywho i just cant think for the life of me who plays it...but im sure its wooten

didnt know any of the others but the really little guy with no neck who kept walking up and down at the beginning is kinda strange

does anybody get the feeling that most bass virtuosos are just bass geeks
  13. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Yeah, that's Victor Wooten with the Yin Yang bass.
  14. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    The secret to the Sheehan sound is old school Powell Peralta stickers and lots of sweat bands.
  15. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    i've played one of the limited attitudes. You get quite the billy tone by just playin that thing, I love it. But ya he's not really a theory head Billy.
  16. spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    well, he doesn't really quite fit in with all these other bassists because his style is WAY different than the others. but a friend of mine has a DVD of him playing with Steve Vai, MY GOD!!! they harmonize together on some crazy ass tapping thing going all the way up and down the neck... AND THEY WERE LOOKING AT EACH OTHER WHILE DOING IT!!! i nearly wet myself when i saw that!
  17. spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    oh yea, and here are the great bass players...

From left to right:
    Oteil Burbridge
    Dave LaRue
    Steve Bailey
    Victor Wooten
    Victor Bailey
    Bill Dickens
    Billy Sheehan
  18. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    This was photocopied from a Bass Player Mag. from 1992. From what I gather, you build the same rig using SVT 4 Pro amps and BSP preamp.

I think the main piece of equipment would be the Attitude Bass.

Billy's Rig
  19. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Elephant Gun or Shyboy probably. I saw them do it live in concert on the DLR "Eat'em and Smile" tour.

I was floored, to say the least. And if you think that was bad, they "co-solo'ed" (for lack of a better term) in the middle of that concert and...

20. DougP

Sep 4, 2001

Sweet, thanks.