Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Birdsong Cortobass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by millard, Jul 29, 2004.

1. millard

millard

Jul 27, 2004
    SoCal
    Anyone have one or personal experience of one?

I play guitar as well and like working with a short-scale bass (currently play a Fender Mustang). The Cortobass looks interesting and I'm thinking of getting one. Any ideas/opinions welcome.

Thanks...Millard

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Umm.. It's "contrabass".. and which bass do you speak of?

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Looks great, especially for the price.

5. Way overpriced, obviously designed by a g****r player, and nothing special to boot.

You can do much better in a short scale to look to other builders. This guy is talking through his hat about how "different" his bass is. It's all standard - standard construction and standard materials. His hokey woodburning looks like a summer camp project. And look at his options list - he actually claims "gold plating" for an extra $120!!! That's outrageous.

6. millard

millard

Jul 27, 2004
    SoCal

7. ScottB

ScottB Commercial User

Jul 6, 2004
    Wimberley, Texas
    Owner, Birdsong & SD Curlee companies
    With the absolute industry-wide glut of 31-1/2" scale, triple-laminate necked, 24-fret, zero-fret equipped, single-piece Honduran mahogany body, single coil by the neck, varitone equipped basses out there... yeah, I guess the Cortobass just blends in with the rest of the pack, doesn't it? The Gold hardware is quoted high because I pay dearly for it - it will probably come down as production gets going. As for me, I've been a pro bass player for almost 20 years. And as for the "hokey" woodburning... well, to each his or her own. The E-mails I've gotten have been quite supportive of my art and the fact that I'm doing something (uh-oh, there's that word again...) different. Peace,

ScottB in defense of his average, ordinary, everyday, same-as-all-the rest, hokey basses. :)

8. millard

millard

Jul 27, 2004
    SoCal
    That's pretty harsh and seemingly inappropriate for a forum moderator. Unless you have real data about Birdsong that you can offer, I think you owe Scott an apology. I'm not sure if electronic forum postings would count as slander or libel, but it is certainly just plain rude.

I'm surprised (and a bit disappointed) that the general membership isn't all over you for that sort of behavior. I'm new here and was just starting to find useful stuff and thinking the place had value. Moderators are supposed to squash this sort of behavior, not start it.

Millard

9. ScottB

ScottB Commercial User

Jul 6, 2004
    Wimberley, Texas
    I also find it disheartening that a moderator of all people would represent the talkbass community so poorly by being so rude and disrespectful. Perhaps in the future, I'll just slap my name on Chinese P-bass copies and then we can have an intelligent exchange of ideas.

10. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
  11. Where were YOU shown disrespect. Your instrument, however, was shown plenty. Sort of like you do Asian P bass copies? Get over it. If you can't take criticism of your product, you don't belong in the biz.

For you to have respect, you must EARN it.

BTW, I'll express my opinion, any time. You can express yours too, anytime.

13. ScottB

ScottB Commercial User

Jul 6, 2004
    Wimberley, Texas
    Wow. I wasn't aware I was joining the Marines... I just thought this was a nice, friendly forum where ideas were exchanged in an open-minded and curteous manner. I guess I was wrong. And for future reference, calling another builder's work of "summer camp project" quality, opinion or not, is a bit much. Just because you can't see that doesn't make it any less true... or make it any more appropriate as behavior for a moderator of a public forum. Valid criticism is fine; I welcome it. From qualified, open-minded, non-judgemental, mature individuals with tact and knowledge about what they speak. Good luck in your endeavors.

14. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Whoa! How did this end up here?

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    scottb-
    please don't let one person's opinion effect your perception of the site here. nobody here is qualified to speak for everyone, and even mods have their opinions and share them too. sometimes strongly :).

16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I, for one, think they're pretty neat! The specs and appearance work for me...

17. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Knowing how easily I get GAS, I wasn't going to get too deep into this. But I listened to the demos.... sounds pretty good. And whoever was playing bass was playing nicely. IMO & I'MO.[​IMG]

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Well, IMO they are different from other things out there. 31 1/2" scale, one piece body and while the single coil/humbucker configuration has gained some popularity in the past few years, I haven't seen one with that particular configuration. Most of them have a MM style bucker. If I were in the market for a medium scale bass, I would try one of those out.