1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Birth year bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kmay, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Kmay

Kmay

Dec 18, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Since I am really wanting to get a P bass,
    I figure I'll try delaying the purchase as much as possible and still hopefully have fun looking and be happy with the purchase when it happens.

I was born in 1986, so I was thinking of beginning my search for my birth year bass.
    As I was looking on guitar center website, i noticed there were several 80's models squires on there. I have heard good things about them, so was wondering what the general opinion of those are?

Also, i have heard the 70's were a though year for fender, how was the 80's? As far as quality and such?

And last, is there any thing I should be wary of while searching? Any tips to not get a dud and any way to fact check authenticity while I'm holding the instrument?

Thanks

2. Ajapses

Ajapses Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2013
    Cleveland, TN
    Can't figure out Madden football
    Can't help you on Squires, but can tell you I've owned a E-series Pbass since it was new. That would put it mid-eighties, though I don't think Fender is able to tell the exact year by serial#. Haven't heard a bad thing about them on TB with some people preferring the MIJ over most other sources. I've seen nice examples in the $700 range.

The bass has held up perfectly while the OHSC has fallen to pieces. The neck has never changed and haven't had as much as a scratchy pot. Most importantly, it still feels and sounds like a Pbass is supposed to.

3. Kmay

Kmay

Dec 18, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    When you say E series...that means its an 80's bass? Where is that number at in the serial number?

4. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Any '86 MIJ bass, generally, would be as good as any US bass.

5. Kmay

Kmay

Dec 18, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    I've always heard wonderful things about the MIJ basses. I actually had a friend that had a squier from Japan (I think). But the "Squire by Fender" logo was in a multicolor pattern...

6. Ajapses

Ajapses Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2013
    Cleveland, TN
    Can't figure out Madden football
    Mine has the serial on the headstock along with "Made in Japan".

7. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    A bit off topic, but I'd love a birth year bass. That would score me a '51.

Kmay likes this.
  8. dakink

dakink

Aug 31, 2009
    Milwaukee area
    Both the E series Squires and the E series Fenders are great basses. I've owned both. The Fenders do have better electronics I've found. I currently only have an ~'85-'86 Jazz Bass Special (E6 dated).

Good luck on your quest!

9. I can't speak for the bass scene, or Squires from then, but I've had several buddies that played American Strats from that era and the quality was similar to Fender quality in the '90s. I have a couple '90's Fenders and no complaints at all. Now is the time to get that birth year guitar... I'm a '66 model myself and wouldn't mind something from the '60s (Martin acoustic or Fender). Unfortunately, I'm depreciating and prices for anything I'd want from '66 are already beyond what I'd want to pay. Time to get an '86 while the prices are reasonable! Good luck with the search (and have fun)!

Shaun

10. Seek out an MIJ or a Squier from that year and you can't go wrong! :)

11. Yeah, I think I'd like a birth year bass.
    Anybody see a great deal on a '51 P
    let me know...