1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Biting your fingernails.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Call, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    It's a habit that I need to break...

How?

2. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Why? I bite mine and love it!!!! Keeps me from needing clippers......

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Well, I know this isn't going to help, but this is how I did it.

Until I left highschool I was a hardcore nailbiter. Bleeding fingers, pain, swollen fingertips, etc were the result.

The day I left I highschool I stopped biting my nails. With succes. Once in a while I still bite, and the nails on my little fingers have never been long, but I don't bite my fingernails anymore.

4. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Translates: Screws up my playing. :(

5. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Indeed it does.

There's a nailpolish on the market with a horrible horrible taste, everytime you bite your nails your mouth tastes like absolute crap for at least an hour. Have you tried it?

6. tr68gt

tr68gt Acme Corporation Beta Tester

Aug 2, 2006
    Naples, Florida
    Imagine for a moment just where your fingernails have been, and all the little crevices under and around your nails. Do you think you washed all the dirt (or whatever) out of those areas? I doubt it. After pondering this for a bit, go ahead, stick 'em in your mouth (insert puking smiley).

7. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've never been able to find it in stores. Actually... come to think of it, I don't think I've ever looked for it. hmm...

8. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Consider it, I didn't like it though and it never really helped me.

9. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I'd say a clear nailpolish, that way when you bite, you get nailpolish chips in your mouth, and that would probably taste like crap.

10. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    look on the bright side. It's not as bad as biting someone else's fingernails

11. Look on the even brighter side. It's not as bad as one of my disgusting roomates who bites his toenails and bites random parts of his bare feet. Simply gross, not to mention I question how much he showers because he always smells.

12. Oxblood

Oxblood Inactive

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Thankfully, I don't bite my fingernails. It's so disgusting considering how many people don't wash there hands. Not to mention, people look kinda ******** when they are doing it, lol.

13. D Von

D Von

Nov 13, 2005
    Rhode Island
    I bite the skin around my fingernails occastionally, it hurts like a bastard.

14. D Von

D Von

Nov 13, 2005
    Rhode Island
    Petco sells it, but I think it's used to keep dogs from licking their ding dongs.

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I get hangnails, and those suck. But I have never bitten my nails. They are way to thick to get through.

16. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    *awkward*

17. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Sorry man, I have always bitten my nails but never to the extent that it has hurt my playing so I didnt realize.

I know that I bite my nails more when I am stressed out. Try finding life patterns where the nail biting gets the worst and narrow the cause of the stress down.

Best of luck to you, John

18. scott917

scott917

Mar 13, 2005
    Houston, Tx.
    I quit too after high school, I just told myself that it was a childish habit and I needed to stop so my hands would look nice.

Scott

19. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Keep your nails cut so short that you can't chew on them. You'd just end up chewing the tips/pads of your fingers. Pain might make you stop.

20. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I had a terrible habit of biting my nails, and the surrounding skin. My fingers were absolutely hideous. About a month ago, I stopped biting them.

This sounds stupid, but I was somehow psychologically addicted to biting my nails. I actually couldn't keep myself from doing it.

The solution? I wore gloves for three days straight. Just regular, cheap, form fitting black gloves. I even wore them while playing bass. I only took them off to shower, wash my hands, and sleep. The mental addiction was gone, and I haven't bitten them since. They're still ugly as sin, but they've been slowly getting better.

Try it, it will work.

Graeme