1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Black Beauty DR strings ??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mr.Docfunk, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Mr.Docfunk

Mr.Docfunk

Jun 8, 2010
    Ok so, I want to try the DR black beauty strings, but I juste don't want to spend 30-40$ juste to know that I don't like them.
    I'd like to have a feedback on how you liked them (for those who tried them)
    tension?
    brightness?
    feeling?
    sound?
    lifetime lengh?

thanks

2. I like them a lot.

They are NOT like other coated strings I have used such as elixir.
    Their tone is slightly duller than elixirs, but they have more mids.
    They are not all slippery like elixirs are either, theres a bit more grip to them.
    They last much longer than a typical string, but the black coating will wear off where you play down by the pickups, especially if you use a pick.

nateh415 likes this.
  3. GOX42

GOX42

Sep 28, 2000
    rising sun indiana
    To me I noticed very little diff. between these and the hi-beams other than a lil' bit less highs..tension was much as any other DR I've play, they had a very broke in feel right off the bat as far as lasting I had a set on my G&L for about 6 months and I played 4 hour shows probably 12 times plus jamming a couple o' time a week... even after that they still sounded great when dulled out...I finally changed them when one broke...I thought they were great strings

4. thelostuba

thelostuba Guest

Apr 23, 2010
    +1 well said,
    great strings, worth the $, but I personally prefer lo riders

Bb_klaus likes this.
  5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Keep an eye out in the emporium for used sets. I just sold mine there for $8 or something like that. Great strings. Very low tension and very punchy sounding. The black coloring comes off though, that's the only thing I don't like about them.

6. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    The newer K3 coating coated and neon strings are supposed to last longer w/o flaking.

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Concider the new DR Neon line. The coating is suppossed to last several times longer then the one used on the black beauties. Important esp if you use a pick. The neons have become my fave string. Replaceing Rotosounds for that spot. They have a little bit more treble content then rotosounds new. Little bit more articulate low bass, very similiar mid char. I tried elexirs, they came stock on some basses Ive bought. But did not like their sound, esp the mids and treble. And didnt like their feel either.

8. Mr.Docfunk

Mr.Docfunk

Jun 8, 2010
    between the NEON and Black Beauties, what do you propose ?

thanks alot for the feedback !!!

9. +2. They're on my Dean Edge Q4 as seen in my profile pic. I've currently got a set on my Fender P Bass Plus. I'll never use Elixer's again. I didn't like the feel compared to the DR's. I have not tried the Neon's yet.

10. kcolyar

kcolyar

Feb 28, 2007
    Moab, Ut 84532
    Maybe I am weird, bought them for my fretless and wasn't impressed. They seem like ordinary strings....the other DR's I use totally kick butt. SO, I won't spend the extra dough again. Not worth it to me. just my .02

11. I didn't like them, felt like my fingers were getting stuck, they're not smooth like uncoated.

12. Mr.Docfunk

Mr.Docfunk

Jun 8, 2010
    allright so I just bought them on the internet, cause I can't find them in stores (Canada sucks when it comes to music stores, esp Quebec)

anyway, thanks for all your posts !!

13. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    They sound less like coated strings then anything else coated that I know of. They sound better then most uncoated roundwounds to me. And they feel better then any other coated strings I know of. The neons. Also the coating is rated at lasting much longer then what theyve been useing for the black beauties by DR themself.

You might like them better then the black beauties. Main complaint those seen to get is coating wearing off within 3 months by pick users. Which makes their cost high compared to what Ive been useing Rotosound swing 66. If instead they last at least 5 months. Then their cost is equal to or better in the long run.

As best Ive read from the DR website and their spokepeeps here. The neons have a better chance of lasting longer then the BB's.

14. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    I felt like my fingers were getting stuck on them as well, otherwise they were ok.

15. Black Beauties now have the improved coating too. I haven't tried the new coating yet, but I love the old version. I agree they sound like high beams, but mellower. They do have a smooth feel and low tension.

16. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just bought a set to replace my beat up peacock blues. I've been playing like 3-4 hours a day, and even just using fingers the coating disappeared on most of the string after about 4-5 months.

The BBs look real nice on my blue jazz, sound quite nice and last a long while. I kinda wish there was a bit more tension, at least on the low B (but I could only find the .125). I find that the stickiness fades pretty quickly, but it is weird at first. There's never quite as much zing as a fresh set of SS rounds, but there's about 85% of it that lasts about 600% as long...so it works out OK for me.

17. gunlak

gunlak

Nov 24, 2009
    Philippines
    the Black Beauties lasts longer than other colored DR Strings,

i have a set of Red Devils, Hot Pinks, and Black Beauties..

the quickest one to lose it's coating are the Pink ones, next is the Reds, and finally is the black.. hell, the black's only show slight usage, and i use a pick!.

18. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    nateh415 likes this.
  19. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Great news to hear. Thanks. So if I ever want black strings for a change. Unless they somehow create a neon black. Lol.

jtobin68 likes this.
  20. The new and "improved" coating is ********.
    I went through a set of the older black beauties in less than 2 weeks, and decided to give the K3 a chance------Broke a string within the same amount of time. And the first time I bought them they were medium gauge...
    In addition to this, the new K3 coating DOES peel and my luthier will vouch for this (He posts here and used to work with Leo Fender...name is John).
    I also disliked the tone, very trebly and thin.