1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Black Sabbath

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by James Hart, Mar 22, 2006.

1. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Man, these guys were my first real influence... I had everything up to "Born Again" on vinyl. Anyway, I haven't really given them much play in a long time... till the other day Nino mentioned "Vol. 4" over on www.bassnutz.com

I had picked up a copy of "Black Box" when it came out just to have ALL the Ozzy era on CD....

Well I'm on my 3rd time listening to it all the way through on random and I just needed to say,

"Wow, I forgot how much I dig this band!"

:smug: that's all

2. Man; bringing back memories. When I was a kid, I used to go down to my friend's basement, play pool and put on "Master of Reality", among others. I had everything up through Vol. 4, but then lost touch. I had to really sell my mom on the idea of getting an album for the first time. (Wife of a minister...you get the picture;) ) Talked her into "Master of Reality". Look on the back and you'll find lyrics that talk about Jesus being the way, and all that. She finally gave in. :D

3. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabatoge are my favorites, but every album from the beginning to Mob Rules kicks total ass.
    My favorite Song by them is Spiral Architect...........So friggin epic..............Gaahhh!! I love Sabbath.

Ozzy in Sabbath is the only time I enjoy his voice, and in Sabbath, it soared!!!
    Tony wrote the coolest riffs ever.
    Geezer was the mastermind
    Bill Ward was Warhorse driven flaming chariot on which the black magic which was Sabbath rode....the foundation you could say.

Although Zeppelin is my favorite rock band , Sabbath is by far the most influential. Every band that plays hard rock or metal owes about 50% of the music to Sabbath(if not more)and I mean EVERY band.

To see them finally get recognized by the uppities was cool.

I also enjoy Dio Sabbath a lot as well. Southern Cross is pure destruction.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Gottawalk: Very Cool! The kid across the street was your age. He was about to move out of the house as I hit 10-11 and would bug him to help with his dirt bike or car... he gave me his worn out 8 track of "Paranoid".... It was the FIRST music I owned that wasn't learned of via my Mom & Dad (always had music playing).

Page: I also dig the Dio stuff... I had "Heaven & Hell" and "Mob Rules" on CD within my first year of owning a CD player. "Country Girl" is one of my all time fav Sabbath tunes... I use to cover "Slipping Away" with it's killer little bass & guitar breaks. (Voodoo is playing right now BTW). "Born Again" ain't so bad either... Ian Gillian has a set of pipes without compare :)

They are always different... but always Sabbath :bassist:

5. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    My band has sucha Sabbathy tone to it, it's sickening sometimes. Escpecially one of our songs which I'll post to this thread some day.

I to though have just rediscovered them. Actually I've only heard a few non radio tunes and want to start getting more. Where should I start?

6. Paranoid was the first song I worked out how to play. Quality album- stil sounds very fresh today, especially the first few tracks.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggghhhh Sabbath... .... damn... :bassist:

8. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    The Tony Martin,Glenn Hughes material is really great stuff too. Check out Headless Cross,and Seventh Star.

9. It's amazing the "when I was a kid, getting my first album" stories that come from the "Sabbath" community. Pretty cool stuff. Oh! and "Planet Caravan" was really cool, too. (At least I think that was the name...I'm getting old!):scowl:

10. I was in the music store asking for the Black Box the day it came out, the guys didn't even know they had it yet and had to pull it out of a box in the back that just got shipped in. Geezer made me want to play bass, the little guitar I do play is from Tony, and I've been influenced in innumerable ways.

I like the earlier stuff, up through Sabbath Bloody Sabbath the best. Strongest blues roots and to me just sounds great. I was lucky enough to see them at Ozzfest last summer, and I've got a signed stick from Ward and some of my albums signed by him, my friend's dad knows him. If only I could meet the rest...wonder what the best way to do that is? Call up Geezer, "hey man it's your old pal Adam, lets hang out"?

11. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Volume 4 rules...

MM

12. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Yes it does.:bassist:

Sabbath has been in my top 5 favorite bands since I was like 12 years old. Love 'em!! In fact they were one of the bands that got me interested in music in general. The riffs, the lyrics and their dark atmosphere sucked me right in. Geezer was also a big influence on my bass playing.

"A National Acrobat" off Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is my favorite Sab tune...followed closely by "Hand of Doom" and "Into the Void." There's too many great songs to pick just those though. Black Sabbath, Paranoid, Masters and Vol.4 are my favorite albums.

I also love the Dio stuff...but to me they're almost 2 different bands.

Sabbath fans should check out the documentary "Inside Black Sabbath." I got the DVD at Borders. It has a bunch of sweeeeeet vintage footage. Also a lot of interesting information on the band. Theres a few great live concerts from the 70's floating around too. Heres a few links:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008DDH5/ref=pd_sbs_d_1/102-1095180-2460139?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006HC0IM/qid=1143125601/sr=8-8/ref=pd_bbs_8/102-1095180-2460139?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

James Its nice to see you still recognize your Metal Roots , Keep Rockin ! :bassist:

14. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    I spent a few months in a Sabbath tribute band, which was a dream come true since they were also my main influence...

was great actually having a whole band that could sound exactly like the original....we did alot of the non popular songs and a few choice hits...but of course it din't last ..few flakey members... still bothers me a bit

15. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    I f%#&ing love Sabbath... once, I used the song Wheels of Confusion (one of my alltime favs) as a jumping off point for discussion in a Czech Literature class in college. :ninja: They all thought I was crazy anyway so I thought what the hell, no better why than I can think of to talk about the post-modernist dilemma... hey, at least, I didn't use Snowblind :D

But, yeah, my girlfriend and I were polling all these random people one day at our job in college (we both worked at a crappy campus coffee shop). All day we were setting up a war between Zep and Sabbath (I was championing Sabbath and her Zep). We accosted the customers demanding that they proclaim their allegiance for either band, all the while alternating playing the bands' albums. Zep ended up winning the poll, but my gf and I agreed in the end that we prefered to listen to Sabbath because they play as a band so well... it's like a monolith of sound and mood. Amazing stuff...

16. It might just be me, but when I bought my Vol4 cd, I listened to it once and took the cd back. I thought there was something wrong with it, the bass was so far in. :meh:
    The next one was the same, so I'm just living with it. I can't remember if the vinyl was the same, but I think with better production, the cd would absolutely rule.

17. Since I'm 10 or 11 I love Sabbath more than every single band on this planet no matter how good and technical the bass player is.
    Sabbath has such an amazing groove going on.. i love it.
    My favourite albums are Vol. 4 and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

My first Black Sabbath CD was The Sabbath Stones, a compilation of the 1990's albums Headless Cross - Forbidden.
    My second one the first one self titled...
    Since that day I love this band.

Now I have every single official album (that's not a compilation) on CD except for the Live CD/Video of Cross Purposes and some on vinyl..

:)

18. I'm another SAbbath lover!!! Even though I love the Ozzy era; The first lp I bought ( I'm 36 ) was "Heaven & Hell" it is still one of my favorite albums of all time... "Die Young"... Holy ****!!!!

Geezer Rules!!!

19. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Great, great songs. Some so minimalistic it sounds like some drivel compared to more notey stuff, but the drive and energy in there outweighs more notey bands in sheer intensity, imo.

I'm a big, big fan. Catholic mom was a little wary of me buying "Paranoid," but I'm glad I put up with her whining about it.

20. The Born Again remastered CD is worlds better than the original release, most of the murkiness is gone. Great album for insane music. Excellent for freaking people out.

The Tony Martin era stuff is superb, once you judge it on its own merits. I have just about everything the band ever did on CD, but Tyr is my favorite album.