1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Black Sheep on the Gig Lineup

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Dougflores, Nov 4, 2018.

1. A gig is a gig

89.4%
  2. Save yourself the embarrassment

10.6%
  1. Dougflores

Dougflores

Jan 18, 2017
    Hey all! Wanted to get some input.

So my band landed a gig in Hollywood. The thing is, we will DEFINITELY stick out compared to the other bands. As in we will not fit in. We play mellow indie rock (think Tame Impala) and are on the same bill as a grunge band with guttering vocals, a tech death band that probably plays 8 string guitars, a punk band (although they said they're playing an "acoustic" performance), and a metalcore band. There are like 2 artists that I'm not sure of the genre, and a stand up comedian. Should we just suck it up and play? Or do we pull out to avoid any potential negativity or unwelcoming crowds?

2. Not sure if I would consider consider Tame Impala mellow Indie. Those first two or three albums are cranked tubes and real rock n roll. Maybe you mean the newest album? Anyway, I don't have a good sense of your sound. But either way I say who cares? Just do you and do you the best you can. I've played many very mixed bills and they've mostly gone very well. Many of the bands I play in get put with metal acts because we are very loud but really really aren't metal at all. I find people are more open minded than we expect and we still get appreciated regardless of mixed genres. Go for it.

MCF and LowActionHero like this.
  3. Also keep in mind that that is a WAY WORSE gig for the comedian. God opening for bands is horrible. So at least you aren't that person.

4. Dougflores

Dougflores

Jan 18, 2017
    Yeah maybe mellow wasn't the best word. I just always have a hard time describing our sound. I'm also banking on the idea that people now a days have a more open mind with music.

5. Totally, it's really hard to pin down ones own genre.
    I think you are totally right and you'll be just fine.

6. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Absolutely play the gig. Play your @sses off and make sure they know who you are. Have fun and move on. Wish I had a dollar for every one of these I’ve done. Looking forward to a gig report.

nixdad, Cheez, SteveBass5 and 2 others like this.
  7. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Stevie Ray Vaughn at the Montreux Jazz Festival

8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Never back out on a gig. Next time do more homework before saying yes.

pcake, nixdad, AlexBassMP and 5 others like this.
  9. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Looks like a varied lineup. I like those, there's something for everyone in them, and you may end up discovering new styles you never knew you liked.

I say play it.

Jimmy4string, nixdad, Kro and 2 others like this.
  10. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Play it.
    Do not open with a ballad...

StyleOverShow, nixdad and Cheez like this.
  11. wizerd

wizerd

Jan 5, 2012
    Prone to ranting, episodes of moral outrage.
    Darmok at Tanagra. Go for it, play like there is no tomorrow.

nixdad, Spectrum, ak56 and 1 other person like this.
  12. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    It will be fine. Just get out there and be kick butt good at what you do.

StyleOverShow, nixdad and Cheez like this.
  13. Throw in a comedy duo schtick between songs.
    Drummer is the straight man, you drop the punch line, drummer does a rim shot that leads into your next song.
    No one will even remember the other bands. :thumbsup:

nixdad, Dougflores, Cheez and 3 others like this.
  14. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    I wouldn't bail on the gig for the reasons you mentioned, i would have simply not accepted it because these stacked "showcase" sort of shows are generally a waste of time. You are right though, why would anyone organize a gig with such polarizing elements and hodge podge of stuff? I've seen friends groups be suckered into this sort of shows to get entry level exposure, but they just end up playing to their established friends and family members.

15. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Be more so what you are to accentuate the difference. Even if you "bomb", laugh about it, enjoy the night, pick up a starlet (or whatever) be proud of whatever you do because you may be the last band standing of the lot and the only one that sells.

nixdad likes this.
  16. I'd do it. My only worry would be the promoter...

Generally metal guys are pretty chill - I'd imagine the tech death guys barely leave their bedrooms if they're good at playing, that's some high level shizzle.

Networking is good - and watching bands that don't play your genre is good, you never know where you'll pick up tips. Even if the gig sucks, it's still a learning experience.

nixdad likes this.
  17. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    If you're good at what you play, playing something different from everyone else will make you stand out even more.

Sometimes a venue like this needs to give people a break from the "noise/energy" just to keep the crowd in control. Not much different than a cover band setting up a setlist.

nixdad and mikewalker like this.
  18. Turbo Sparky

Turbo Sparky Supporting Member

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    Played a gig a few weeks ago. The opener was a solo artist...on banjo. All originals...
    The dude rocked it.
    We play post-hc, and very clean and loud.
    Line-up was dude with banjo, stoner rock, techno rockish, and us.
    What's the problem?
    It's Hollywood baby, throw down and rock it.
    ...IMO.
    I am pretty certain there are weirder things out there than your gig line-up...
    Good luck.

nixdad and pellomoco14 like this.
  19. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Is this pay to play?

40Hz and Seanto like this.
  20. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    errrrrrm.

A comedian, a grunge band, a punk band playing an acoustic set, a death metal band and a metalcore band.

I can totally see that this is the universal lineup for concert evenings around the world and there's no way to play anything resembling indie here.
    This would totally throw off the delicate equilibrium of genres.

Maybe If you asked the punk band to play electric and the comedian brought a Kazoo.

(seriously):
    Unless it is some pay-to-play thing, go there and play.
    What's the worst that could happen? You're playing an empty hall because the metalheads don't dig your tunes.
    But as it is with exposure, maybe there are a few people in the crowd that like what you do and will show up on your next show.