1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

blaspheming newbie question: preamp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by derridiandrift, May 1, 2010.

1. I'm brand spanking new to UB (bought my first UB in February) coming from almost 30 years of electric bass playing. I have my first UB gig in four weeks. It's a roots-rock/alt-country kind of gig.

I'm buying the K&K Bass Max pup. Here's my embarrassing question: can the Tech21 VT pedal be used as the preamp for UB? Check out my sig and you'll see that I'm using tube amps (stop laughing, you're hurting my feelings). I'm concerned about the VT giving too much amp emulation and muddying things up.

Opinions/experience please?

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Look up the input impedance on your amp. If it is in the ballpark of 1 MegOhm or above, then you can use the BassMax without a preamp. I think your SVT head satisfies this. If you proceed along this direction, then you could decide whether or not you need a preamp by identifying what specific amplification problems you need to solve.

3. Francis, you have helped me immensely! How ironic is it that, as I did some yard work today, I was thinking that it can't possibly be too complicated to build a simple pre-amp circuit if it turns out that I'd need one to use the Bass Max pickup with my amps.

You rock, my friend.