Blast Cult basses

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by tombowlus, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Thanks Ed. Really like you videos. Also the videos where you explain electric basses. Very informative!

would you say these basses are suited for fusion/jazz as well? both pizz and arco. I mostly see rockabilly players using them (besides Miles Mosely)
    And what makes these basses more feedback resistant than other double basses?

2. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    My Blast Cult has been seeing all of my upright gigs this year...some are loud slap gigs, but I do a lot of trad country, western swing, jazzy stuff, old hot jazz music...I've been very happy with it :)

For years, what louder upright players would have to do to get decent volume and low end was to 'deaden' the bass in one way or another, but then you begin to sacrifice tone. The Blast Cults are a little deader than a typical nice bass, but it still sounds like an upright. You can go more extreme with two sound posts, but I'm just using one and it sounds really nice and I can run a large cab pushing 1,400 watts without feedback...works for me :hyper:

3. edfriedland

edfriedland Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Well, you could use the bass for jazz/fusion... you'd probably want to go with steel strings (they make a killer set of steel strings too... Low Lifes), and have a standard bridge radius. As I pointed out, my bass came with the flatter "rockabilly radius" bridge... great for slapping, might not be best if you want to bow, or have a traditional upright feel. They can build them that way too. The bottom line is the bass gets louder than a traditional upright, so anything that requires volume (like fusion!) would be no problem, you would just have to set the bass up for jazz instead of slap.

The body is 5-ply maple and heavily braced, so it's not as resonant as a "regular" bass, but I still find the instrument has acoustic volume. In fact, I took it to a party last week and jammed around the campfire without an amp and it was plenty loud!

4. donnybrook

donnybrook

May 25, 2009
    San Francisco
    Endorsing Artist; Dunlop Products
    I watched Ed's review and was very interested in one thing he mentioned: He said they're using Gorilla Glue which makes me wonder how repair is supposed to happen. Anybody have any idea on that?

Happy New Year, everybody.

5. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    There are different grades of Gorilla glue...for example, they have a really nice wood glue, like titebond.

My Blast Cult has been to Europe and back 3 times this year...did well over 200 shows on it without one single issue, so whatever they do, I hope they keep doing it :)

Best live bass I've ever owned, period

6. edfriedland

edfriedland Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2003
    Austin, TX
    If it don't break... you don't need to fix it.

Think about it.

7. Geoff Firebaugh

Geoff Firebaugh

Apr 1, 2004
    Nashville TN
    Endorsing artist:Blast Cult, BNA Audio, Fender, Innovation Stings, K&K
    I've had my custom Blast Cult (the beatnik bandit) for almost 18 months now. Hundreds of shows,with no issues, (save when the neck broke off, but that was an easy repair). I can comfortably say that Jason Burns is building the best basses in the industry for players that need volume. I'm running 2400 watts into a fEARful 1515/66/1. I can (and have) drowned out the subs in a club, and shake plaster loose from the walls with no feedback with the BC piezo pickup system and 2 soundposts.

8. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Interesting. Would probably make for a great salsa/latin jazz bass.

9. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    It's just a great live bass, period if you run amps at any kind of volume :)

10. bigshiny

bigshiny Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2010
    St Louis MO
    If I had the money I would by one of these. Tried this question over in a different Double Bass category. Has anyone tried a full set of the Blast Cult Gutbucket strings yet? Seems like a good price point for a plain gut set. If so, how would they compare to Clef, Lenzer ? I am getting ready to restring my '37 Kay for some recording work this spring.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Heads up, folks! We will be giving away this Blast Cult One4Five very soon:

[​IMG]

We will be featuring a Blast Cult factory tour, Blast Cult review, and Miles Mosley interview in our next issue of Bass Gear Magazine. This issue will also feature the One4Five giveaway, which will also be listed on our webpage and on Facebook.

Last Saturday, Blast Cult hosted an awesome GTG at their shop out in CA (about 20 min from the NAMM Show). What a great party! Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were able to try out their excellent electric bass guitars, the 32 (32" scale):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Say hello to Joe from JHawk Customs!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And they had performances from Miles Mosley and Djordje Stijepovic. If you have not heard either of these cats, you must check them out!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This shot is from the 2013 Bass Bash:

[​IMG]

I'll be uploading some videos from both Miles and Djordje on our YouTube channel, soon.

What a great company!

12. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Those are some awesome pictures! I've had the pleasure of visiting that shop. Cool stuff, great people.

The picture just before jHawk is 'Chopper' from The Cramps!

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021