1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Blow to the Bridge

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by swervy jervy, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Hello!

A couple weeks ago my Upton hybrid took a knock. The bridge shifted towards the G side about 4 mm and down about 2 mm. It remained level and the tuning wasn't impacted much. I've been playing on it

Could use some advice whether this is something I should address now and work out myself? I'm planning to take the bass in to my luthier in early october for tune-up anyway... Thanks very much.

2. Lay the bass down on the G slide. Partially slack the strings, wiggle the bridge back into position, make sure it's straight and re-tune.

When you have your bass in for service, ask the luthier to mark the correct position of the bridge with a pencil in case the bridge gets bumped again.

3. Try to remember the relative position of the strings to the sides of the end of the fingerboard. On my bass I try to have the same distance on the left and the right side. The height is marked by the inner middle cut of the f-holes.

My bass felt on the bridge when I layed it down on the ribs (I had some additional weight inside the bass bag on the left and right of the bridge when coming back from Copenhagen), it only moved the bridge by a centimeter, nothing was damaged (luckily I have a very solid bridge). Since I have plastic laminated piezo foils under the bridge feet which have a very smooth surface, I could even move the bridge without loosening the strings (but with lower tension strings). Took just a minute to correct.

4. Lay it on the G side and not on the back? I always lay it on the back for bridge adjustments so that I don't knock the sound post out of positon.

5. Sound post drop is the third rail in this caper... for me, anyway.

6. I lay mine on the G side so the post has nowhere to fall. To me it's easier than laying the bass on its' back and laying a sandbag on the top.

7. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    I don't get your logic. It still can fall, only not as far. And if the bass is on its back it still can be pretty loose without falling-- if the post is seated properly.
    Just don't nudge it :D

8. bssist

bssist

Jun 23, 2007
    St. Louis, MO USA
    It is easier for me to set the bass on its back up on something like the dining room table or the bed, or in my recliner to do bridge or tailpiece work. A bag of flour works well if you're worried about the soundpost and don't live in a flood plane where sandbags are commonplace ;) .

I know this is a topic for another thread but I am very interested in more information about this pickup you are using.

9. Thanks for the responses. I'm going in.

10. keiranohara

keiranohara Commercial User

Nov 7, 2007
    Ossining, NY
    Luthier at AES Fine Instruments
    In Wyoming, somebodies bound to have a bag of birdshot.

11. Easier to find than a bag of sand!

12. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    That's what I use! ;)

13. Long ago, the cowboys and the canucks must have climbed down from the same tree.