1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blowing Fuses - HELP!

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Alexander, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Not sure if this is the right forum, but hope some of you knowledgable folks might be able to help me out. I have recently relocated to the United Kingdom from the USA and am working to get a digital stage piano to work. I have purchased a step down converter connected to a US power strip with both the keyboard and powered monitor plugged into it. The keyboard works fine, however the monitor will not work, continually blowing its fuse as soon as I switch it on.

Here is the equipment I have - any ideas on what might be going on?

Roland RD-700sx Piano (AC117V~ 50/60hz, 12W)

EXO BlueSky Powered Speakers (120V-60hz, 2A 240W)

MW2P300 Step-down converter (Input: 230v-50hz; Output: AC110V 300W)

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help!

2. My guess (and this is only a guess) is that your little 12W piano is fine, but your monitors are pulling more power than the converter can handle, maybe just on start up. How many amps is the converter rated for?

3. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Not sure - there is no documentation that came with the thing. I thought 300W would be fine - the next step up is 500W, which is twice the price. But may be necessary...

4. Check the current first (Amps), if you're lacking that, then going to the 500W might not help.