1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blown DOD envelope filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Southpaw5, May 4, 2010.

1. Southpaw5

Southpaw5

Jul 18, 2009
    Boston
    So I have an old DOD envelope filter that a friend borrowed and used(abused) and returned smelling like an electrical fire. it turns out he didn't take the power source and used whatever he could find. :mad::bawl:

What if anything can be done now(for the pedal, not the person!) Can I replace parts or is this a total wash now?

2. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    it'll probably be cheaper to buy a new one no matter what the problem is, since theyre inexpencive pedals.

what happens if you try to use it? just no sound bypassed or on?

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Agreed, certainly you can replace any/all of the components, but it may end up being cheaper to get another one. Depends on how many components you end up having to buy, and how quickly you discover all the fried parts.

4. skidrawk

skidrawk

Jan 21, 2007
    Space City, TX
    A blown envelope filter is a happy envelope filter.

5. Southpaw5

Southpaw5

Jul 18, 2009
    Boston
    Right now I get nothing out of it. No power no sound. I was considering this(pedal) to become learning material as I've never worked on a pedal before. i'll open it up and let you know(pics too) even if it does end up in the trash.

6. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    I'd punch that sumbitch in the tunk.

7. Southpaw5

Southpaw5

Jul 18, 2009
    Boston
    Oh so tempting:p

8. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    Yeah, I'd pick up a new pedal and a friend that doesn't break your gear

9. Southpaw5

Southpaw5

Jul 18, 2009
    Boston
    This did suck, but it was settled financially after the incident, so i was really just bummed that i didn't have a working pedal to play with(this actually happened a few years ago, I've just been hanging on to the pedal). I didn't have time to ope the pedal up last night, hopefully tonight I'll have some time.

10. nobes

nobes

Feb 14, 2006
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Which model? FX25 or FX25B. I was able to find some schematics of you are interested.

And don't throw it out. If it comes to that I'll take it as I can use the metal case and the pots for some of my own experiments.

11. Southpaw5

Southpaw5

Jul 18, 2009
    Boston
    Mine is the 25B, and yes, I am interested

12. nobes

nobes

Feb 14, 2006
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    pm sent