1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

blown speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jondog, May 11, 2011.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    So I'm pretty sure I blew my sub. I was testing out some new/old gear and hit a low keyboard note. The keyboard volume was on max (doh!), the preamp gain was at half, the preamp bass knob was at max, and the power-amp knob was at 2, very low.

It made a little (not loud) click/pop noise and stopped making sound. The power-amp appears fine. Why am I posting? Aside from making no sound and doing nothing w/ a 9v test, the speaker appears fine. The cone is not frozen in place and there is no rub when I press on it. I'm not positive but I think the cone looks like it's pushed a little further out than usual.

So did I really blow it? If not is there any fix?

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If it failed the battery test, it's blown assuming you tested the raw speaker (out of the cab). If it's still in the cab a couple of longshots might be a fried tinsel lead at the terminal or perhaps a blown fuse or broken fuse holder. Some old cabs had fuses in them. Like I said...longshot, it's likely blown.

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    OK good idea. It does have a xover so it might have a fuse too. I didn't try the 9v test out of the cab.