1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blue LEDs literally blinding you?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by derrico1, Jun 11, 2014.

1. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    We've joked on TB about the "blinding" blue lights on some stomp boxes and rack gear. No joke: intense blue light can damage your retinas.

Gotta pedal with the insanely bright blue LED (MXR, Wampler, Malekko, Korg, etc)? Hit that with a little painter's tape to dim it and shift the color.

2. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    I've always used a Sharpie but painter's tape sounds like it's just crazy enough to work. Thanks.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Whenever possible, I wire in a trimpot for the LED to tame it.

4. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Agreed. I have a few pedals and a new head where the blue LED is like a freakin' laser. Painter's tape, eh? I'll give it a whirl.

5. Yes and the green and the red ones to [​IMG]

6. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    If I stand over my pedalboard in the dark, my face is completely lit by the white LED in my Fuzzrocious Rat Tail. I get the concept of wanting to stand out, but I can't see the settings on any knobs when that pedal is engaged - and it's always engaged because I use a separate bypass looper.

totallyfrozen likes this.
  7. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Gaffer tape. Tiny strip covering part of the LED will do the trick

PhotoGrid_1402513619414_zpsorq3i13k.

8. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    I embrace the tiny blue lights that dance below my feet.

9. I JUST thought of a great idea...might be the first time anyone's ever thought of it:
    Don't stare into bright LEDs that hurt your eyes! :cool:

Crazy, huh?

Haji likes this.
  10. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I put a piece of tape over them if they're too blinding.

11. Good to know, thanks for that info! The tape idea is good, then when you play a bright daytime show you can peel the tape off. On those bright stages the red and green LEDs are useless, only the bright blue ones show up at all. But most of the time, yeah, they're too darn bright.

12. Greg75

Greg75

Nov 20, 2009
    Santa Monica
    I'm in the Sharpie camp on this--actually saved me selling my favorite home audio integrated tube amp. Could've landed a plane by the blue light until I painted it with a Sharpie.

13. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa

Aug 4, 2013
    Brasil
    I use nail polish, there is also a small round sticker built to decrease the brightness of these crap.

14. Paint-pen, similar to the sharpie idea, but you just put a "cap" on the LED so it only shines out to the sides and not straight up.

15. Yep, I actually cover the blue LED on my VMT with my finger while kneeling down to alter settings between numbers during a gig. Never thought of masking tape though, seems ideal so I'll definitely be trying that out! Ta! :D

16. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    The Darkglass pedals are literally blinding. LOL. I've built a few like that myself as well. Bought super bright LED's on purpose and didn't realize just how bright that meant.

I can't change settings on either of my Darkglass pedals without turning them off first.