1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bluegras sound

Discussion in 'Bluegrass [DB]' started by bassplayer48, May 7, 2010.

1. H Guys,
    i was thinking about my bass sound i did a gig lst night where there was another band on fir and the guy had a nice sound a more mellow blooming kind of sound than mine, mine is more mid rangey if you know what i mean.

Its strung with spiro weichs here a youtube link to my band recrded with a video camera let me know wat you think of this sound.

Cheers

2. So do you prefer the fuller sound or are you content with what you have?

If you're looking for the mellower sound you might try moving your right hand nearer to the end of the fingerboard. The higher you move up the neck the more nasal the sound.

String choice also has a lot to do with the sound. Spiros aren't exactly the Lou Rawls of bass strings. You might find Obligatos more to your liking.

3. I think that is a workable sound. The room is really bright for all the instruments. You might try Evah Pirazzi's as well or anything with a perlon core. Your action appears to be pretty low. You might try to experiment with string height a bit and see what you find. Basically you just need to mess around with it and find the sound you like. The extreme would be to go for a gut G and D but that's not really necessary. You should be able to get the sound from just about anything with the right set up and approach.

4. Thanks for the reply's guys this helped a lot i can really hear the difference plucking down closer to the end of the fb much fuller, punchier and mellow. I think that has solved the problem.

5. jimmy brown

jimmy brown

Dec 21, 2010
    Hondo Tx
    Many people get nasal and anti-nasal backwards. Pinch your nose shut with your fingers or facial muscles and the high pitched sound you get is anti-nasal. Open up the nose and let your sounding voice develop within its full, natural sounding chamber is nasal. Much the same with with mellow bass playing. Picking near the acoustic heart of your bass will get you there. Cheers.