1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blues Bros. / "Duck" Dunn (tribute)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by BlackLake, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Just finished my first rehearsal with a Blues Brothers Tribute and I am lovin it!!!

Wow, just wow..., I totally love Donald "Duck" Dunn's style, technique/etc.

I learned the songs as close to note-for-note as I can, and studied videos to keep things exact (positions, fingering, muting etc.), Trust me, it's been REALLY fun!

Duck has some seriously wicked grooves that can stay the same or go off into a tangent without warning...I plan on nailing his style for this gig.

The money is great! So I'll finally get my Sunburst Vintage Fender P with tort-guard /and a Jazz neck

YES!!!!

Anybody want to discuss any Blues Bros. or Duck's stuff please feel free!!!

"Soul Man" bassline is FUN!
    "She Caught The Katie" bassline is AWESOME!
    "Messin' with the Kid" AWESOME and FUN!

(I will be happy to help anyone who wants to learn a BB tune)

byw, it was pointed out in rehearsal tonight (after watching my bass playing work) that I am so very intricate to the act compared to all the other musicians...

...maybe I should ask for more money hahaha

2. You guy's doing Groove Me Baby?
    Great tune and not as easy as it sounds to pull it off.
    BM

3. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    Get a Lakland Dunn sig!

4. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Totally Jealous here!
    Sounds like a good thing to be a part of.
    Soul Man is fun song to play.
    QUESTION: When you play "can't turn you loose" C-A-G, do you play the A string open or E string 5th fret? I have been doing it both ways and haven't decided on which is best.

5. Ya Baby! and I locked myself in my studio for 3 nights to get-it-right

Sweet bassline eh?

6. I soooooooooooooooo want one, but with the BB he always had the P...and late years, he put multiple stickers on it (ugly IMO)....that's my dilemma.

I like the stuff so much, I'm wondering how I can grow a FRO!

(I still may get myself that Lakey) :ninja:

7. That one really through me for a loop, I tried it both ways and finally found a video (rare) that showed Duck with the open A, which I had always felt was the easiest, but that is one of the hardest grooves to get right, AND I have 5 different recording where they play it 5 different ways. So that one was a chore.

We start with the:

cagc_ aga_ cagc_ aga (repeat over and over) (_ = tie)

then: c_c_cagc_agc_agac_cccagc_agc_agac_ccagc_agc_agac_ccagc_agc_aga

then: c_c_c_c_c_agc_agac_c_c_c_c_agc_aga (repeat)

8. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I think you should stick with the look of the bass from the movie. Thats what people know/expect.Maybe get a pipe!

IMHO, Groove me is one of the tunes that I think just did not work. Sorry.

I really like Guilty,off of the America album you can just hear Belushi's in trouble.

PS, I'm jealous. I've gone through that stuff allot. I've allways thought that would be a fun gig.

Are you guys counting in Katy? I'm always was worried I'll flip the beat If I don't hear a count before the guitar.

Aj

9. The drummer does yell out the count in Katy, although I don't need it, I can just feel it, I'm gonna ask if the rest of the band really needs it (try a couple times without it in rehearsal)

I just think it would be far slicker if we could pull it off without the count.

Groove me is ok I guess, but I see your point. The new Elwood (who used to be the Jake, but lost weight) wants to do Rubber Buscuit...I so want to do that one, mainly for the audiences benefit.

10. fretlesswonder

fretlesswonder Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2006
    New Jersey
    Wow, love the Blues Brothers stuff, have fun!

11. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    No pics, no 'fro.

12. Ya, I don't know what to do about the 'fro...definitely can't grow one, and I don't want to wear a wig.

The pipe would be ok, except I wouldn't be able to light it (non-smoking laws)

13. First gig with new lineup booked for April 5, 08. I will take pics and vids.

Just got booked for June opening for The Stampeders (very happy about this)

14. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    That would be a fun band. DDD is a greta player. Not as easy to play as some may think.

15. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

Duck Dunn was known for his three T's: Time, Tone and Touch. In Jack Bruce's instructional video he talks of his own heavy handedness and says he will never have the soft touch of Duck Dunn.

Check out this interview: http://www.mikevisceglia.com/donaldd.html

16. Yes...a major bonus with this lineup is that there is no volume wars what-so-ever. We match volumes to mix with the drummer, and no one in the 2.5 hour rehearsal touched their amp/mixer, it was wonderful. I dig a bit when I play, but for this gig I have been exploring a softer touch, and I'm liking it.

17. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    LOL....That will teach him! He needs to eat more fried chicken.

Man you gotta do Rubber biscuit I thought they did a great job on that. Groove me...... They "changed it a little" and IMHO....:scowl:

So many amazing tunes to play.....

"Are You the Police?

No ma'am we're Musicians. "

Aj

18. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

Ok, now your just being mean:cool:

Aj

19. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

It would be. You can always do the silent count. Fingers in the air.

Aj

20. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Duck had a soft touch in the studio, but check out some of the live videos out there, especially Stax/Volt Revue Live in Norway 1967 and Shake! Otis at Monterey. Duck absolutely OWNS the stage, (along with the great Al Jackson Jr) and he tears it up as well!