Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BMI

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Coutts_is_god, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I want to talk about how stupid this thing is. It says I'm over weight. I can deal with that, but my score was 29.2. That is .8 under Obese. It wants me to lose 35 lbs, so I can just make it to being overwieght. The Ideal is 18.5-24.9 in order for me to be that I will have to lose 50lbs. 50lbs Thats insane! My diet would be one slice of carrot a day. In my mind I don't even eat alot anyway. Plus I would have to do so much running to lose that weight. I take gym class everyday at school and I'm going to take it althrough high school. I can not see myself loseing 50lbs. Maybe 10 or 15 or maybe even 20, but 50 I would be nothing.

How do you guys feel about BMI?

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I think my BMI is 24, but it is kind of stupid. I wouldn't be overweight if I were to weigh like 10 lbs more.

3. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    The main problem with the BMI, is that weight is weight, it doesnt take into consideration body composition. so you could be a 250 lb 6' bodybuilder and have the same BMI as a 250 lb 6' out of shape, desk-jockey...so in my opinion, the BMI is definantly flawed, but in some situations, it is a helpful tool.

4. BMI can be misleading when used alone, but most dieticians take a variety of factors into consideration when determining someone's ideal weight. It's just one of many tools for that sort of thing.

5. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    My brother's girlfriend's BMI test says she's obese. She's skinnier than I am, and I am a fairly skinny guy. She's not even close to being mildly fat, let alone obese :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :confused:

6. Ratio of lean to fat body mass is the best way to go. Most athletes are about 8-10 % body fat. So 12-13% for males is pretty good, 15-18% for women is good.

Lets say you weight 200lbs. And your % body fat is 18%. You have 36 pounds of fat. If you want to get to 12% you need to shed 12 pounds of fat. Problem is when you diet you lose water and muscle so you probably need to lose 20-25 lbs to end up at 180lbs @ 12% body fat.

The more muscle you have the better off you are (in this senario)

Coutts_ , Don't restrict your diet to much, it just leads to roller coastering. Try eating 5-6 smaller (smart meals) 3- 4 oz lean protein, 1 cup fiberous veg. 3/4 cup starchy carb. No sugars or refined white anything. You'll find you eat more, are very satisfied and will start really sheding pounds, especially if you exercise.

7. Yep that's what I get. The military uses BMI, but for me they wind up doing a body composition analysis as the they can obviously see when I'm doing my physical what I'm made out of. My BMI is around 30.

8. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    BMI alone is relatively worthless. That said, I am at the higher end of the normal range, and I think that's fairly accurate. I could stand to lose 20lbs but it's not necessary.

9. Yeah the things worthless for the most part. It categorizes me as overweight. I lift weights four days a week and played high school football for all four years. Yeah, I don't have a sixpack, but I wouldn't even consider myself fat. It's off for me.

10. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    At 6'2'' and 220lbs, the BMI scale says I am borderline obese, about 35-40 lbs overweight. And yet I have abs standing relaxed. I think it is bunk. What do you look like in the mirror? That is what's important.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm a lumberjack build (and TBers can attest to that, I'm not just saying "I'm big boned" here). The BMI constantly tells me I'm obese, like *Holy Christ, kid! Lose some weight!*....meanwhile, my day job is contracting; tiling, trim carpentry, screening, moving, all sorts of stuff. I get more exercise daily than most people see all week.

Just got a big frame and a couple extra pounds. The BMI says my fat is one step away from becoming sentient and trying to revolt.

Do I like what I see in the mirror? No more or less than anyone, I guess.

12. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Your best bet would be to get some fat calipers and do a multi-site measurement to determine your body fat percentage.

13. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    Its stupid this whole BMI thing. Say your a body builder or a rugby player, and it says your overweight! It just assumes a certain percentage of muscle to fat.

14. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I've been working on my cardio. I used to weight train but I stopped because I feel for myself running is the best thing for me. I do thirty mins a day. 15mins on tredmill 15 on this other thing we have in our house. I try and aim for 2.5 on distance on each. Now the thing is I don't know if its 2.5 Miles or 2.5 K. For alls I know it could be 2.5 cm.
    So thats what I do now.

15. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Even if you are concentrating on cardio training, you should still weight train 2-3 days a week to help your body preserve muscle tissue. More muscle = faster metabolism = less body fat.

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I just did mine and it was 27.8. I'm 5'8" and 183lbs., but I'm not really overweight at all. My stomach has a little roll of chub where my abs used to be when I was in good shape, but that's really the only fat I can really see on me. A nurse weighed me and said she was surprised I weighed so much because it doesn't look like I do.

To tell the truth, I don't know where all that weight comes from.

17. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    It could be your bone density.

18. isnt there a note to say this doenst apply to wieghtlifters or atheletes?

i thought that was kinda wierd when i did mine.

19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Are you saying I'm big-boned? Next you'll be saying I have a "great personality" :bawl:

20. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Actually I was thinking of Eric Cartman "I'm not fat, I'm big-boned". :D So nyah :spit: :p