body cavity brass inserts?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by s0c9, Mar 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Anyone know where to source them?
    Can't find any on stewmac, woodcraft, or anywhere that has them under 1/4" or #6
    Have a bass that uses simple woodscrews on the wiring cavity.. looking to replace/upgrade.

Thanks

33191-01-1000.jpg

2. You can find an assortment of sizes at Home Depot. They’re in the section where there’s drawers of stuff. I put smaller (thinner) ones in my neck from HD.

s0c9, rwkeating and saabfender like this.
  3. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    I had no idea... thx ! Got one down the street... I'll take a look !

4. Rôckhewer

Rôckhewer Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Owner/Builder- RockHewer Custom Guitars LLC
    I get all my hardware like that from
    McMaster-Carr
    McMaster-Carr

5. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Yep, Home Depot, or even some hardware stores in the Hillman fastener drawers.

6. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    McMaster-Carr has the tiny ones.

7. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    Don't get the brass, get the steel

8. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    I disagree, get the brass ones! Steel is more likely to gall and seize up on steel screws. The brass inserts won't.

Another source for small threaded brass inserts, like 4-40 size, is Threaded Hex Standoffs from electronics supply places.

pudge likes this.
  9. Home Depot, Lowe’s, Ace, TruValue should have brass and steel inserts. If you want smaller than 8-32 or 6-32 you may have to order them from somewhere. Also, if you have scraps of the same wood the inserts are going into it wouldn’t hurt to get a few extra and experiment. I’ve found in woods like maple I need to drill a much larger hole for the insert then they recommend.

10. When in doubt McMaster-Carr! That place rocks and ships quick! I like their big zip lock bags too :)

Rôckhewer likes this.
  11. If you haven’t installed these types of inserts, I highly recommend getting a hand full to practice installing, especially on hard woods.

I use the method involving a drill press and a threaded rod that goes into the insert and slowly turning the drill press by hand drives the insert down. Someone here has a step by step pictorials. I think I took a pic of that on my recent build thread...

s0c9 likes this.
  12. Rôckhewer

Rôckhewer Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Owner/Builder- RockHewer Custom Guitars LLC
    I don't use the ones "for wood" with the thread on the outside... they are too big for my taste & don't thread into hardwood well. At leaat not in control cavities where they are being installed in the little nub I leave for them. You can't force thread somthing like that without cracking the surrounding material. And if a hole is large enough to allow them to be threaded in... They are not going to be very tight.
    I prefer to use the ones for plastic, with the knurled outer edge... And glue them in very carefully with a little CA gel.
    20180314_221752.jpg

Gilmourisgod, chinjazz and mmon77 like this.
  13. Nice! Perhaps these ones are good for pickup cavities as well?

Rôckhewer likes this.
  14. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Hey @Rôckhewer
    Do you have a link to those little knurled brass inserts? I’d like to use those for threaded pup height screws. Never seen them that small. McMaster/Carr?

15. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    As stated -McMasterCarr. They have them down to 0-80. Go for the "heat set"ones designed for ultrasonic or hot insertion in plastic. They have fine knurls and shallow barbs on the bottom end. Measure the OD on the barbs and drill & ream the hole on-size and glue them in with CA.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Rôckhewer, chinjazz and Gilmourisgod like this.
  16. This is great! I was looking around for some and screws that fit a set of soap bars for my build.

17. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
  18. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    Unfortunately MCM's site doesn't seem to allow direct linking to specific product, just a general area of where to look. What size thread are you looking for? also, they have multiple insert lengths as well.

19. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I noticed the same thing, tried to post the actual page for the small plastic style inserts, won’t allow a direct link. I’d like to use them for pup height screws on a Ric 4004 style build, maybe cavity covers too, so small, not sure which yet. I bookmarked the page, thanks for the tip @Rôckhewer!

Rôckhewer likes this.
  20. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    not too familiar with RIC's, but I'm going to assume 4-40? (MCM# 93365A120)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018