1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

body question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by GODSBASSMAN, Apr 25, 2015.

1. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    Ever thought about:
    How thin can a solid body bass be? With or without electrical potentiometers. No neck dive allowed. how could it be constructed?

2. Deep Cat

Deep Cat Supporting Member

For my build style, the main determinant of body thickness is the output jack. I've heard that 1.25" is about as thin as you can reasonably go, but you might be able to go thinner.

3. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    Well, the jack could be parallel. What about piezo setup...is that a very thin component? I know it needs a buffer. How thin is that?

4. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    The Ritter Princess Isabella baritone guitar is said to be only 1" thick. Not that I've ever seen one in person.

5. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    This site supports your post. Pretty "Chiclet".
    Ritter Princess Isabella CO Baritone Guitar

6. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    I think some Ken Smith bassee are around 1.25" thick. You can use a side mounted barrel panel jack, which only needs a 1/2" mounting hole. The depth of the pickup route is the deciding factor for me. And if you are going bolt on, you need enough meat under the neck to be stiff. Best to do neck through if you 're making a very thin bass. Lace makes a very thin surface mount bass humbucker that could be used.

scottyd likes this.
  7. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Ric basses are 1.25" thick, and the pickguard mount pots use up 1" of that depth. I suppose if you have just the thickness of a plastic control cavity cover below the pots you might get it to 1-1/8". What's driving the desire for something thinner? If you are concerned about weight, the body could be chambered. If its that light, balance will be an issue unless the top horn is pretty long.

8. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    I'm NOT a builder. But my instincts say that the building materials are the ultimate deciding factor. By this I mean if cut thin, they are rigid enough to hold up against string tension. Carbon fiber build with a somewhat external output jack anyone?

9. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The thinnest body would have to be neck- through design like a Ric, so the body thickness is determined by minimum neck thickness, which is around 1" on most basses, maybe 7/8" at the thinnest. Any bolt-on would need more meat under the heel.

Edit: sorry, Hammerhead already said this, didn't read his post. What he said.....

10. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I've built some thin ones, but have gone back to 1.125-1.5" thickness with chambering to control weight. I agree with gilmourisgod though, I think the body for practical and aesthetic reasons needs to be at least as thick as the neck, so you're looking at probably 7/8" or in that neighbourhood. You can buy tiny pots, so that's not an issue, a barrel jack can be installed in wood that thin, so as long as you had thin enough pickups, like those lace ones mentioned above, or a piezo setup, maybe even with outboard preamp, you'd get a thin bass...

11. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

It depends on the profile. If the body is sculpted towards the edges it would look like a flying saucer (or a closed hi hat) when sighting down the neck. The edges could be wafer thin and widen to a stout enough piece to mount the bridge and controls. A Thunderbird has narrower wings than the middle, doesn't it?

12. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I remember a verrrrrry thin Curbow a long time ago. You could cut bread with it.

13. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    Put the electronics on the outside and youre limited to the thickness of the neck

14. eulogy77

eulogy77

May 14, 2008
    That was a a Greg Curbow american petite, I own 2 international petite but the american flat top petite is much lighter and thiner, to balance the neck dive he installed a tone block( a brass block under the bridge, for the ones that where rockwood

15. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    I've gone as thin as 1" but wound my own pickups for it. pickup thickness is probably the most important faactor. AUDERE controls are great for thin bodies and tight control cavitys