Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Body Repaint

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Shabba!!, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Shabba!!

Shabba!!

Oct 15, 2005
    What is the best paint for re painting an old bass body? Does car paint work? as if it did i thought it would give a good metalic effect

2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Unless you know how to spray lacquer and have the proper equipment I'd stay away from painting.

3. debbandruss

debbandruss

Jun 10, 2004
  4. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Alot depends on the professional quality you are after. If you are looking for a pretty good job with a few minor flaws, any paint will do as long as you prepare the surface correctly. It is just like refinishing furnature or something. Lacqured finishes need to be only scuffed with 320 grit sand paper to be able to take on another color. Wal-Mart $1 per can paint does a good job and comes in some pretty funky colors. If you want a professional flawless finish, have a professional do it. I think it comes down to a very easy rule - You get what you pay for.

5. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    +1

Go to this sight and read refinishing 101 if you want to do a nice refinish. Be prepared to spend some time on prep and sanding.